Chapter Nineteen: Mistakes

It's been a long time since I've woken up like this, and it takes a second for my half-asleep brain to understand what's happening. My wolf is slamming around inside me, desperately trying to wake me. I hear growling and shift instantly. Fergus stands protectively in front of me and bares his teeth at Onyx. I smell blood. Shifting must've torn some stitches. I ignore it and walk next to Fergus.

"What's going on?"

"My wolf woke me up, Onyx was sneaking around the cave, and when I shifted, he came in. Get behind me. He won't say anything."

"Calm down. I'll talk to him."

I walk towards Onyx, and Fergus runs in front of me, growling low.

"Are you insane? He's already acting strange, and you're hurt. There's no way he's getting near you."

Onyx snarls loud, and we both jump back.

"Onyx, what are you doing here?"

"We need to talk."

Fergus growls and bares his teeth again.

"Then talk."

"Alone!"

"Ok, we'll talk. Calm down."

Fergus whimpers and stands in front of me, shaking his head.

"You are not going with him."

"I'll be fine."

"That's what you said last time, and look what happened. I don't trust him."

"Trust me."

"I trust you, Mal, but you're already hurt, and I know you opened your neck back up when you shifted. I can smell the blood."

"Let me talk to the mother of my child, asshole!"

"Oh, piss the fuck off!"

Onyx snarls and snaps at Fergus, and they crouch low, snarling loudly and snapping at each other's faces.

"Stop! Stop fighting! Onyx, back the fuck off! I'll go with you, but I'm only warning you once: do not fucking touch me."

"Mal, no."

"He won't stop until I talk to him. I'll be careful."

There's fear in his eyes, and he whines. I nuzzle my face in his neck, and he carefully buries his in mine.

"I'll be back, unharmed. I promise."

"You're not going far."

"I'll take her wherever the fuck I want."

Fergus growls again, and I nudge him.

"Stop. It's ok."

I walk out of the cave, and Onyx follows closely behind me. I hear Fergus pacing in the cave, and I know he'll be doing that until I come back.

"Up here."

Onyx runs ahead of me into a big cluster of trees, and I follow him. He shifts back and crosses his arms as he leans against a tree.

"Your turn."

I think it over and decide to trust him against my better judgment. I shift back but stay where I am, also crossing my arms. My neck stings, but I grit my teeth and ignore it.

"Talk, Onyx."

"Please come here. I'm not going to hurt you, Mal, I promise. I just..."

He sighs and rubs his hands over his face. He looks exhausted and rough, and I feel a pang of guilt.