Chapter Fifteen: Broken

I'm not awake yet. However, my mind is aware. It's muffled from sleep, but I can hear it. Onyx's phone is ringing. It slowly registers in my brain, and I eventually start coming back to reality. I groan and open my eyes, the sun is up, and Onyx is still asleep. I have a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I rub my eyes and then throw a robe on before going to the living room. Fergus and Grimes are sitting on the couch watching Onyx's phone ring, and they look at me when I walk in.

"Oh, finally."

"Is Onyx up yet?"

"No, what's going on?"

"His phone has been ringing for almost forty-five minutes."

"What? Why didn't you wake us up?!"

"We didn't want to bother you guys. You got back late, and we figured you were exhausted."

"So you're telling me that you two have been watching it ring didn't think it might be important enough to wake us?"

"Yeah... pretty much. We might've dropped the ball on this one."

I run a hand through my hair and reach to pick up the phone when it starts ringing again.

"Yeah?"

"Oh, Mallory. Um... can you put Onyx on, please?"

"He's still sleeping. What's going on?"

"I have to talk to him."

"About?"

"I really should talk to him first."

"Reid, what the fuck is going on?"

Onyx yawns as he walks into the room without a shirt; his hair is messy.

"Why is everyone yelling? Who's on the phone?"

"Reid."

"What's going on?"

"I don't know. He won't tell me. He wants to talk to you. Care to fill me in on the big secret?"

"I have no clue. Here."

He reaches for the phone, and I give it to him.

"Hey Reid, what's going on?"

I'm standing right in front of Onyx, but I can't make out what Reid is saying, he's talking quietly on purpose, so I can't hear. Onyx's eyes widen, and his heart starts to pound.

"Did she say why?"

"She? She who?"

He looks at me nervously and bites his lip.

"I guess I'll be there soon then."

He hangs up and looks at me without saying anything. He's trying to think.

"Who's she?"

"A girl I used to... hang out with. She's in town and wants to see me."

"A girl you used to hang out with? That's what you're calling it? Really?"

"I'm sorry! I have no idea why she's here!"

"Oh, come the hell on! I'll tell you why she's here, Onyx. She wants to fuck!"

Fergus stands up and waves his hands.

"Woah, ok! Young ears, want to take this somewhere else?"

"Shut up, Fergus. Onyx, are you going to meet with her?"

"What else am I supposed to do? Ignore her? I don't want to be rude."

I stare at him in utter disbelief, then huff and stalk into the bedroom. Onyx follows behind me.