the hierophant.

week (1) / how long does it take to fall in love?

  You were led in silence down a hallway quite contrasting with the one you had previously entered the palace through. The wallpaper was wholly different, and its soft colour gave you a sense of comfort in the large, foreign palace. Soon, you had made your arrival to a towering, pitch-black door with golden doorknobs.

  The guard gently knocked on the door, not paying attention to the two motionless knights on either of its sides. A firm and deep voice called out through the opposite side of the door, "The door's open, please come in," sounding more like a command rather than an invitation. The guard patted your shoulder as he walked past you, muttering a quick 'good luck' as the knights opened the door for you. A sigh left your lips in despair: it appeared you didn't know what you had gotten yourself into. A glare from one of the knights urged you to hurry up, pushing you to enter into the large office. A monochrome pattern disguised the ceramic walls, alike to the grey carpet floor, except for its rather pretentious ivory detailing. Lining the walls were black bookcases, preoccupied to the brim with infinite knowledge at the looks of it. The back wall had a large set of windows, triple glazed for insulation. In the middle of it all was a young man, who sat at an executive style, black desk on a large leather chair. In front of him stood two smaller leather chairs. His gaze slowly left the copious amount of paperwork which stood before him; his eyes presently stinging into your body.

  "You must be the fortune teller, yes?" He questioned, one of his dark brows raising as his piercing orbs inspected you from head to toe. You had no clue what the man was thinking. No emotion showed on his face, no indicator at all to how he felt or what he was thinking. Everything about him seemed to be so very dark; enigmatic; and monochrome. It was, frankly, quite frightening, yet you couldn't help but feel magnetised to him.

  "Indeed, your highness." You stumbled over your words, caught up in your thoughts so much that you had nearly forgotten your etiquette. You curtsied and bowed your head deeply before standing up straight again. While you did all this, you could feel his eyes judging every last movement you made. A small, welcoming smile graced your lips as you both locked eyes. You felt imaginary tears prick at your eyes, dreading what was to come, and wondering why he was so silent so as to take several moments to respond.

  "I've heard of your quite astonishing accuracy in your field. Therefore, please, take a seat, so I may explain my dilemma and make a plea to you for guidance." He declared, beckoning you over to one of the few available seats in front of him with a gesture of his right hand. You hastily took one, not daring to keep a member of the royal family waiting. You sat down on the leather chair, your body sinking into the expensive fabric as it vainly caressed your skin.

  "First of all: welcome to the palace. I shall pay you a suitable amount of gold each week, brought to you by one of my many royal guards. You shall meet with me each week and accompany me to any social event that has anything to do with the matter at hand. If a social event, such as a retreat or a visit overseas takes place, you will be paid extra, and all other expenses will be accounted for. Understood? Any questions so far?" He queried you, not bothering to introduce himself, neither seeming the slightest bit interested in your personal life. The communication and relationship between the two of you would be solely business by the looks of it.

  You silently nodded your head before a question came to mind. "How many weeks do you require my fortune-telling services for? And which day of the week?" You vocalised, tilting your head. If you were to work here, you wanted to know as much about the pay and duration as you could, for you had other regular clients to attend to. If word broke out that you were a fortune teller for a member of the royal family, especially the prince, your business would reach the point where you could barely manage it anymore. Thus, you had to take slow, careful steps to manage your time as efficiently as possible.