13 | scarlett's eyes

Chapter XIII: Scarlett's Eyes

I'm sorry.

Sent by Scarlett at 12:00 P.M.

***

November 2017.

"Are you recording?" Scarlett asked, pouting whilst Harris focused the camera on her.

"Yes," he replied from behind the camera. "You can start."

The pout morphed into a bright smile as she flicked her hair behind her shoulders. Her eyes creased when she smiled, her cheeks rosy and her lips painted red. They sat in Scarlett's room, the sunlight beaming through the window and onto Scarlett as if it was her personal spotlight.

"To the students of Harrington Preparatory," she began. "I'm here to reveal the truth behind the Elites."

She walked towards her couch, settling the down as the camera followed her. Although, she looked confident, Scarlett was actually shaking inside — afraid of the unknow, afraid of what will happen next. But, she had come so far that she was too far gone to go back. She had devoted most of her high school life on bringing the Elites down and she wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

Her grey eyes momentarily flickered over to the frame that rested on her vanity; encased was a picture of her and Candace with grin plastered across their face, drenched from head to toe from the water pistols.

"You must think that there are these esteemed, beautiful people, could do no wrong. Well, I beg to differ. The Elites are a very private group of friends, to be one you must catch their attention," she paused fleetingly. "I caught their attention. I jumped from the third clique to the top in less than a couple of months. On their table was the eighth seat that many people wanted because you could have power, but for the Elites, you were just another pawn. They played with you, toyed with your emotions, get you high on the glitz and glam until you wanted more. Not to brag, but I held the longest record of sitting in that seat. It's been nearly 2 years since I joined the Elites and let me tell you something, they never accepted me as one of their own."

She released a bitter laugh, her eyes downcasted before she regained her composure, a saccharine smile on her lips.

"Like I said, a private group of friends. You can sit with them, party with them, gossip with them and rule with them, but you'll never be them. But, even the Elites have weakness within the group. Secretly, they all despised one another; they've all hurt one another but acted to each other's face as if nothing happened. Imagine attending parties after parties, watching them do the most terrible things to each other and then, at lunch the next day, they'd smile and laugh as if nothing happened. I guess, that's what happens when you've been friends for too long - sorry isn't in their vocabulary, I'm pretty sure it doesn't even exist to them.

"The Elites were a complex group, friends whose best interest wasn't for each other but for themselves. See, they were strong as a group law bricks to a building, but if one brick falls - the rest soon falls afterwards. Now, don't get me wrong, this documentary isn't a vengeance thing, it's more of me enlightening my fellow students about the wrong and repulsive things the Elites have done and gotten away with," Standing up, she neatly brushed down her skirt before looking dead straight into the camera. "Once I'm done, you'll never bow to the Elites again."

*

September 2017.

"Is it on?" she asked, the location changing to the Harrington cafeteria.