00 | the girl with the red lips

he who seeks revenge should remember to dig two graves.

[ Chinese Proverb ]

Preface: The girl with the red lips

"HELLO," SHE SAID with a sugary smile that would've seemed fake if she didn't have a branding of the high school sweetheart, but I had my doubts. "You must be the new girl."

Her hair was a type of blonde that made me ponder if it was made out of actual gold and her eyes were stunningly cobalt, almost as bright as the sky, blinking with curiosity as she examined me (not so subtly, if I may add), possibly speculating if I could potentially be the next candidate to their little game. It briefly reminded of a time a few summers ago where I was out for a swim at my best friend's home in the Hamptons, and a squeal caused a flock of birds to take off in shock.

"You wouldn't believe what just happened," My best friend said with excitement lacing in her voice as she rushed out from the house, waving a piece of paper around in the air. I raised a brow expectantly; waiting for her to indulge me with whatever news she had this time round. "I've been invited to the bonfire at the beach tomorrow evening!"

She squealed again, her eyes wide and wild with anticipation. I felt a slight pang of irritation, but I said nothing, not wanting to diminish my best friend's happiness. Instead, I pretend that I understood her high society life and grinned.

"Oh my god," I replied, trying to match the same amount of enthusiasm she was expressing. "I'm so happy for you!"

Suddenly, her grey eyes narrowed seriously, her red lips frowning slightly as she watched me get out of the pool and dry up. "You don't know how serious this is, do you?"

I smiled sheepishly at her and she groaned in annoyance, throwing her head. Sometimes, I wondered what went through her mind when she realised, I would never be like the people she wanted to impress. She could deny it all she wanted but I knew her. I knew my best friend.

"Listen to me, Candy," she began, her crimson lips beaming. Red always suited her, never took my liking. "These events are only given to those who could potentially be the next protégée for Celeste Leon. It's so exclusive, not even the Jenner's could get an invite."

"So, essentially, what you're doing here is basically a try–out to be the next servant for a rich privileged bitch?"

"Excusez-moi, you're talking to one right now," she snapped, surprising me with her harsh tone. "Or am I not rich enough to fit in that category?"

I frowned, furrowing my brows in utter confusion, "Scar, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just saying. These were the types of people we used to make fun of."

Scarlett Lockwood stood up, rolling her eyes in aversion and for a moment, I doubted if I knew my best friend. She looked the same as she did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that day. Auburn coloured hair, grey feline eyes and sprinkles of freckles on her high cheekbones, which were glittered with highlight and blush, enhancing her signature red lips. Yes, she looked the same.

Or maybe she didn't.

Maybe I wasn't looking close enough

"That was like in eighth grade, C. We don't do that anymore," Huffing in exasperation, she sashayed off in her new Jimmy Choo's, snapping my attention back onto the situation at hand. "Whatever, I'll catch you later."

"What about your mother's benefit tonight?" I shouted before she disappeared into the large house. She didn't even glance over her shoulder when she gave me a reply.

"I won't be going to that. Just tell her I'm not feeling well. She'll understand."

And as she sauntered away, I wish I went after her. Or with her at least. But how was I meant to know that was going to be the beginning of her downfall.

The people she was in love with were Gods to her; she worshipped their very existence and everything that came with them. They were the worst types of people; unreasonably wealthy, stunning and wicked. Yet, they seemed to capture everyone's attention. They were Elites and they knew it. They knew they were the very sun of our little solar system and because of it, they had everyone's fascination. Scarlett wanted that. She wanted to be them. She's always liked the spotlight and attention along with the devotion that came along with it. But she wasn't them; she could never be them no matter how much she tried. To them, she was a black sheep trying to find its way back to the flock and that made her vulnerable, exposed.

And when they knew every inch of her weaknesses, it wouldn't be long until they said checkmate.

However, one thing that constantly haunted me at the back of my mind was her sudden change of heart. I still didn't understand where it wrong, where along the lines did she switch and decide to go rogue. Scarlett was a beautiful girl, and I had never met a girl so beautiful yet so complex. Not that it mattered anymore. What was done was done. I wanted them to pay, them to feel exactly how Scar felt when they embarrassed her at the Winter Formal during Junior Year.

I wanted to carve the rejection into their labels and titles the same way they did to Scarlett. I wanted them to be so vulnerable that no matter how much money they spent on burying their secrets, they'd always know that someone out there knew the truth behind their wealthy façade and was waiting to dig up their graves.

And it began right then. Senior year. By the time I was done with them, I'd have avenged every innocent person they hurt just for entertainment, especially Scarlett.

"Are you okay?" The beautiful blonde asked with a look of concern painted on her face when I didn't answer her, perhaps reconsidering if I could be a candidate or not.

I smiled, my lips painted red, "Perfect."

-

Had written this last year for my Extended Project Qualification.

I hope you enjoy

- fariha.