Chapter 4: The Illusionists

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."

--- Henry David Thoreau.

I pull on my deep purple sweater and pull up the zip, but even after that I'm still shivering.

Since I stepped foot into the Unconscious Hall, I felt the temperature drop about ten degrees. I push my hands into my hoodie pockets as I walk, following the crowd of sixteen-year-olds into the hall.

The only warmth in the room is supplied by the brilliant sunlight above our heads. I pause in the middle of the hall and tilt my head upwards, once again to admire the strategically designed ceiling. It's shaped like a dome, and covered completely in glass. The stained glass art is probably one of the few things of the Institution that still takes my breath away.

The elegant piece of art is stunningly designed, a colourful circle, with attractively interwoven lines and patterns. Basically, it's the best dream catcher design I'd ever saw in my life.

For a while, I just stand, gawking at the piece of artwork above our heads. I stepped back, and immediately bumped into someone.

"Sorry." I squeaked. The boy just gave me a strange look, glanced up at the dome, scrunched up his nose and walked away, leaving me the puzzled one.

"Move, it, girl." An adult barks at me from behind, sidestepping as I sidestep, causing him to become more aggravated. "What are you standing around for?" He demands. "You're supposed to be in the Hall in five minutes, girl."

"Sorry. I- I was just ad-admiring the dome.."I stutter. Some adults make me extremely nervous. It's just, they make you feel so young and ignorant, and they are the high-flying, people of absolute significance, the ones creating all the glory, and we're just puny Dreamers, never looking before we fall.

"Well, that's a really precise description of these people. They thinks they's so distinguished, essential..."

I give a start as suddenly, I hear a voice speak inside my head. No, it's not a figment of my imagination, it's like there's something, someone else living inside my head, it's so impossible, it---

"it's absurd?"

I let loose a tiny yelp and the man behind me scrunches up his brow in deep annoyance. "Now what's the matter, girl?"

I try for a weak smile. It would be no use explaining to this important man about the voice, it would only enforce my statement on adults...

"I'm alright, sir. Thank you---"I begin.

Cutting me off, he bids, "Then you can't afford to lose anymore time, young lady." He snaps and I gulp, backing off.

Sighing, he presses his lips tighter and straighten his tie awkwardly. "Well... I don't want to be a shatterer of dreams, but that dome you're admiring---"

At first, I couldn't fit in what he's voicing, then suddenly, it started to fit and sink in.

I pressed the back of my palm to my mouth. "No, no it can't..." I deny, frantically looking around me.

"I know... I'm sorry, but I have the right to inform you about this now, before your Ranking. You need to take into consideration the tiniest little bit of difference. If you want to get anywhere high, you have to concentrate on sharpening your Instincts." He pats my shoulder, again, awkwardly and leaves, taking my dreams and hope away with him.

"No, it can't have always been like this..." I whisper softly to myself, my mind blown apart to all corners of the planet.

"Oh, but it is." A voice inside me argues. "I think, deep inside you, you know that all along..."