Chapter 1: Ranking Day

I wake up, shivering.

It's just another dream, I reassure myself.

Probably one of those mischievious newbies playing a prank on me.

Sighing, I drag myself out of my all-too comfortable bed and head to over to where my sister lay, absorbed into her dreams.

"Wake up, Rilla," I shake her shoulder.

"Mmmmph," she mumbles.

"Come on," I hurried her, impatient to start the day."It's light out already."

"How do you know?" She retorts.

It's true, without glancing at my watch display, I wouldn't have been able to tell. The room we live in is shielded all-round, no natural light can enter where we're staying. In other words, we live underground.

"Here's the deal. I don't know, but what I do know is that you're going to be in great trouble again if you don't get out of bed, get dressed..."

"Yeah, yeah, stop nagging, Lea." She finally sits up. "How do you manage to wake up so early anyway?" She yawns."Like, every morning?"

I'm silent.

Well, because, I'd rather defy the morning gravitational pull of my bed than face those unpredictable dreams again. It's bad enough I'm having them every night, I don't need to experience the same one every morning too.

"Because," I think of an answer. "I's finally the day I find out, and today's going to be our Ranking day."

"Finally." I hear Rilla mumble.

I round on her. "What's that?"

She gives me a sly grin. "Finally, I get the room all to myself."

I roll my eyes. She's been waiting for this moment all her life.

Well, so had I.

It's the day I get to find out my ranking, my future jobs, and basically my whole future lifestyle depends on today's conclusion.

Like, would I be a Catcher, a busy Disperser, an Amasser or a Director...?

I would find out today.

"Hurry up, I'll meet you later ," I say, hurriedly giving my auburn hair a last brush.

"Yeah, yeah. Geez, you need to chill, big sis!"

Yeah, right. She's not the one turning sixteen this year.

I put my sister at the back of my mind and closed the door.

I hope I would be Chosen for a Catcher.

They're usually the best ranks. It's the best job.

It also requires the best from my division.