Chapter 2.1 "What the hell?"

Parents. Call. Car. Orderlies. Escape. These things were running through my mind second by second in a strange order. The past events were twisted inside a huge tornado as the pieces of a puzzle that I wasn't able to put together. Time was passing by, but I remained in the same trance and couldn't find the way out. After a second, day or month from my dive into a strange reality where I was only reflecting on my actions and trying to solve my memory mystery, I noticed my consciousness joint the body. The reason is right here...

"Morning, sleepyhead" - An awkward squeaky and high voice above my head, stroked me like a thunder. And I opened my eyes, so easily. For the first time in 2 weeks.

"Oi! I have nearly lost my hope to see you alive" - a little girl mumbled curiously. Her long, sharp nose was touching mine, and while she was exploring my face with great interest, it was spinning as if she aimed to drill a hole in my face. Made of glass, watery blue eyes, sweet coral lips and yellow blond hair separated into two long and wide ponytails with pinkish hairbands - I thought she possessed the entire beauty in the life, as she was a faithful representation of what I called the prettiest human with perfect proportions. Everything in her was of a fairy but... The nose...It was as long as a thumb, the only flaw she had. An oversize jean jacket hung on her shoulders with a blue sundress under it. I wanted to open my mouth to greet her and said how I was glad to see her when she finished analysing my face, jumped out of me, folded her hands and looked at me doubtfully.

"Listen. Do not say anything to them no matter what" - she whispered nervously. - "I know who you are and how you got here, you better be obedient here or say goodbye to normal life. But first, I'm Duco." - her concentrated look turned to a friendly smile as someone had just changed her mode in a second. She gave me her little hand as a greeting. I took mine from under a prickly wool blanket but when I tried to unfasten my back from the bed I felt a stroke in a head, everything went dark and I yelled of the pain. Helplessly I fell back again and noticed Duco's confused countenance. She stared at me wide-eyed. I thought she froze with her arm extended forward.

"Duco? What's wrong?" - I was searching for something I must have done inappropriately and finally got it. My scream was so loud and piercing that I scared the girl a lot. Her knees were shaking and a cute smile disappeared again. However, she didn't care about me: from the moment she took her arm back, several times looked at the door and then at me in panic, she suddenly ran to her bed and hid behind. I could hardly understand what was going on and dared to ask again - "Duco? What is it all about?"

"You have just dug yourself a grave that's what happened! They heard you were awake, that scream was breaking all walls!" - she muttered with a shaking but angry voice. Was she a paranoic? By that moment I had been wondering where I was and why I was together with Duco. Subsequently, I was absolutely sure we were the prisoners of a loony bin. I might have gone crazy as well as that poor girl who was suffering from some mental disorder. - "No! I'm not crazy Jane!" - she read my mind - "You are now in an orphanage and this is a room for wanderers. We are here locked because we are both guilty, that's why we are called wanderers - we committed crimes and disobeyed. That's our destiny!" - she was almost crying. Her silly and meaningless words made me laugh, although my pain was insufferable. The more my face filled with a smile and joy, the warier she became. Duco looked at me with disgust and turned her face to the door waiting for something to happen. - "I know you may laugh at me" - she said emotionlessly - "You may think everyone around you is just psychos - I do not blame you. But before this door opens and orderlies take you out of here I need to tell you something. First, I can read people's thoughts and desires so you will never be able to keep any secrets from me. Second, this isn't just an ordinary orphanage. Here the law you know doesn't work - while you are here, listen to their orders or suffer from hunger and thirst, pain from punishments. I'm not the one to explain how everything works here - they will do it right now. But I can only say that you are powerless and rightless while you are a wanderer. The only way to normal life for you is through the window. Now shush! They are coming!" - I heard a knock and a noise of a key inside a lock. In a couple of seconds, the door opened loudly. Two old tall women stepped forward and looked at me arrogantly.

"Jane Ola Fawn!" - one of them said strictly

"Yes, ma'am" - I sat on the bed, despite the headache and answered immediately.

"To room 231. Now" - she said through teeth. I stood up and looked at Duco's frightened face. - "Ducora Kate Canto!" - the woman screamed at Duco then

"Ma'am, please! Can I go outside for a while! I haven't been there for a few weeks! I beg you!" - Duco burst in tears. I thought she was waiting for the right moment to ask for a long time.

"To classroom 121. Now" - indifferently, with these words, two women stepped back and slammed the door.

Honestly, I felt great relief when they left. - "See? No orderlies! Things are not so bad yet!" - I said to Duco enthusiastically.

"Just wait for it" - she answered pitifully.