Chapter 8 - Greater Wars

It was hard leaving Moden, but I managed.

We decided on meeting like we used to, and although the routine was the same, things between us really weren't. We walked a little closer, and our gazes locked a little longer. I didn't know any words to truly describe our moments. Today, however, is different. Today silence surrounds us. Today eyes never meet, words aren't spoken, hands don't hold. The day lacks movement. Our limbs are too heavy from the news. Moden is sitting on a log, and I on a stump a yard away. We both stare off into the horizon and watch the sun's slow, but peaceful journey up the sky.

"You heard, right?" my voice cracks the hardened shell of silence.

"Yeah," he replies quietly.

I don't know what to say. Before, I wouldn't have even been in this position, but now I sat snugly in a place where I had to make a huge choice.

"What should we do?" I ask.

"So many options. . ," he murmurs.

"We could run." This causes him to look up. We finally look at each other. He studies my eyes and my expression, but after he can't figure anything out he just sighs and looks back at the sunrise.

"But would we?" his question pierces my thoughts.

". . .I. . ."

"No. I'll answer the question, and the answer is no."

"Yeah," I agree dumbly.

The cold silence contrasts the warmth of the rising sun. Minutes pass, and not even the birds sing a song. At last, Moden gets up from where he is and walks over to me. I look up at him as he looks over me. After a few seconds of that all familiar silence he leans down and plants a soft kiss onto my lips.

"Then I'll see you then," he says.

I nod and watch him go, but when he disappears I can only just look forward numbly. The events that await us bring me no emotion. I knew this was going to happen eventually, after all. My thoughts betray me and think back to Moden's gentle lips. A tear forces its way out, but that's all I allow. It's time to go back. I stand up and smooth my shirt. Slowly, I make my way around the stump and walk to the church. Before I go too far, I look towards the direction where Moden walked. Another tear frees itself, and soon I sob. Still looking, I smile sadly, and say, "I love you."

A/N: Sorry for being terrible and not updating, I just have been really not motivated for so long but I also really want to write and finish up all the stories I have (Published and drafts) so let's hope for the best!