Epilogue

Epilogue

One Year Later...

As I walked into the restaurant, I took in the beautiful surroundings. The Mandarin Oriental was one of the most expensive restaurants in London and its décor was impressive.

One of the waiters greeted me at the entrance. I gave him my name and he showed me to a candlelit table in the middle of the room.

"Would you like anything to drink whilst you await your dinner date madam?"

"A glass of Champagne please."

After a few minutes, he came back. "Your dinner date has arrived madam."

"She's not my date! Let's get that straight for a start."

I smiled as I recognised the familiar dulcet tones behind me.

"Hi Rory," I said breezily. "You look as pleased to be alive as ever."

He made a grunting noise as he wrestled to keep hold of his coat which the poor waiter was trying to take from him. Rory eyed him suspiciously.

"I'm sure the waiters here aren't thieves Rory, you can probably trust them with your coat for an hour without them taking it down the market and selling it."

Rory reluctantly handed his coat over and muttered. "She's not my date ok? We're work colleagues and we're reviewing the restaurant. I don't even like girls."

"Very good Sir." The waiter cracked a slight smile as he took the coat away.

"What's he smiling for?"

"I don't know. Maybe he thinks you like boys instead."

Rory span round in his seat like a shot to say something else to the waiter but he'd already gone.

I looked around at the ornately decorated tables and the various enclosed leather booths in each of the four corners. I guessed that was where the top celebs asked to be seated when they wanted some privacy away from public view.

I sat back and soaked in the atmosphere. "I love doing restaurant reviews. In fact, I just love being a senior reporter altogether, you get much better assignments."

"Yeah, well you certainly got your own way on that one."

"Rory! That's not fair! It's not my fault that Brooke had the accident and hasn't been able to walk since."

"No, you're right." He paused for a second. "But it was probably your fault that Max had the nervous breakdown straight after that. I mean you'd already pushed him right to the edge."

"Rory!" I kicked him under the table and he screwed his face up.

He rubbed his leg and pouted. "Although, I guess Dan is a marginally better Editor, at least he doesn't look like he's going to put his tie in the paper shredder at any moment and strangle himself to death."

"Dan is a great Editor. He totally gave me a second chance by trusting me with Brooke's job after the accident. I won't have a word said against him."

"Why don't you marry him then?"

"Shut up Rory." I picked up the menu. "Let's see what the food is like."

The waiter came over with the Champagne and gave Rory a coy smile making him shift uncomfortably in his seat.

"I'm not gay, ok?"

The waiter looked embarrassed and busied himself with his pen and notepad. "Very good Sir. Are you ready to order Sir? madam? If I may recommend the chef's special today? We have top chef Boris Varga with us this month. He has added some speciality dishes from his home country to the menu."