Chapter One

Chapter One

I was pinned to the ground by something heavy. "Please...no," I moaned. As the needles punctured my arm, I could hear the sound of a siren in the distance getting louder and louder. "Please don't let it be too late. Please...."

As I began to re-gain consciousness, I opened my eyes and froze at the sight of the big, fat... furry...bum in my face!

"ED! GET OFF ME!"

I switched off the blaring alarm. "I'm taking you to Battersea Cats home Ed. You're a big, ginger pain in the arse!" I named him after Ed Sheeran, a fellow ginge.

I rubbed my arm where he'd been kneading it with his claws and pushed him off the bed, still purring. As I turned my head, I felt the damp of the pillow beneath me, sticking to my skin. My heart sank like a stone as I realised I must have cried myself to sleep.

The events of last night came rushing back into my head all at once and I reached over and picked up my phone. I didn't want to read it again but I had to, just to confirm it had actually happened. I opened the message.

"Didn't want 2 do this by txt hun but guess we both kinda know it's over. soz for all i've put u thru. u deserve better. :-( Josh.

Tears started to well up in my eyes again and I gritted my teeth and choked them back. Stop it Amber! Think of five things you hate about him right now. Come on, do it! Ok, um....um....I hate the way he called me "hun". He wore 'spongebob squarepants' boxers which made him look like a 7 year old boy. He never buttered my toast to the edges (major sin). He used to turn up at my house without calling first, like that one time when he burst in with a DVD ....big smile on his face, and food in a little basket for a carpet picnic and we got the duvet, snuggled up together and watched 'Twilight' while we ate doritos and haribos and... I started to cry. I'd loved him so much it hurt physically. How could I ever trust anyone again? Three months he'd been seeing someone else behind my back. Three months!

Anger flooded through my entire body. I picked up the photo of us posing with Shrek, and the annoying donkey that kept touching my bum at Universal Studios and I threw it at the wall. "I HATE THIS STUPID PHOTO AND I HATE YOU JOSH DEBNEY!"

My phone beeped and I froze. I wasn't ready to talk to anyone. I winced as I picked it up. It was a text from my best mate Emily.

"Good luck for ur first day. u will be great! luv u lotsies. xxxx"

Oh my God! My first day! I jumped out of bed and looked in the mirror. My hair was glued to the side of my face with tears, there were clumps of mascara dotted below my lower eyelashes and my eye lids looked like they'd been inflated with a bicycle pump. "I hate you Josh Debney."

I looked at the clock, I was so running late. Tripping over the cat, I raced to the bathroom to sort my sorry self out.

As I stood in the shower, I took stock. Josh had let me down completely and utterly. My heart was so heavy it felt like it was made of lead. "I hate you Josh Debney." Taking a deep breath, I turned my face upwards to let the water cascade down onto it. I had to pick myself up and somehow ignore this horrible ache Ifelt inside. Come on Amber, be strong. You're just going to have to put all of your mixed up emotions in a box in your head and lock it away for now. Focus on what you have to do today. One day at time Amber. You're about to start your dream job. Forget everything else and channel all your energy into this.

I'd been offered a job as a junior reporter at 'Wow' magazine, the career I'd always wanted. I'd got a foot in the door at the most popular teen magazine in the UK and I was going to be spending my days doing exactly what I loved best; writing articles, interviewing the hottest bands and celebrities on the scene, working on this year's festival fashions and gossip columns. It was going to be 'amazeballs'. I smiled. 'Amazeballs'. I liked using made up words. I liked using them until it got to the point where everyone around me started using them too. It gave me a sense of achievement. Sad 'perkin' that I am.

Wrapping a big, soft towel around me, I rifled through my bulging wardrobe. I needed clothes that said "Boyfriend? Nah, don't have time for them, too busy with my career." I pulled out my favourite cream Beatrice Holloway top and a grey pencil skirt, put them on and stood in front of the full length mirror. Mmmm, ok, good... slightly preppy, understated sexy, means business. I stared at my reflection. Even with the puffy eyes, I could see that the girl staring back at me was very pretty, her long brown hair curling softly at her shoulders and framing her face, her figure the envy of all her friends because it remained slim even when she ate three fillet o' fish burgers in a day, which she did, occasionally, like yesterday. Her big blue eyes that were usually sparkling looked sad today though. They looked really sad.

Now look here Amber Curtis. You are a strong, confident woman. Forget boys, forget all of them. You have the best friends and the best job in the world. You don't need any more scumbag boys in your life; they can all go to hell. You're through with them all. OK? I leaned in closer to the mirror. "Ok," I said. Lecture over.

Running downstairs to the kitchen, I tripped over the cat again as he followed underfoot and threw some biscuits into his bowl.He appeared in the doorway "All the men in my life let me down Ed. Do you want to get the violins out?" He looked up at me and gave me a little knowing "miaow". Or maybe he just wanted food. "I know", I said ruffling his fur. "Not you though. Tell you what, I won't send you to Battersea Cat's home, not today anyhow." I bent down and tickled his chin. "Maybe tomorrow".

After checking myself in the mirror one last time I looked at Ed. "You're the only man I'm going to depend on from now on ginger nuts. Well, you and my Dad, of course."

Just asI grabbed my keys andheaded for the front door, the house phone rang. "No," I muttered. "I'm late already!" I picked it up. It was my Mum, which was at least a three hour conversation at the very best of times. "Mum I can't talk, it's my first day at the magazine today and I'm so late."

"I'm sorry sweetheart, I just didn't know who else to phone." I heard a sob and everything went quiet.

"Mum? What's wrong?"

"Your Dad left me this morning. She blew her nose hard. "He's been having an affair with a hairdresser. Three years he's been seeing her behind my back. Three years!" I stood there totally numb.

"And I know who it is too," she continued "That pouty woman with the breast implants and the lop-sided fringe who owns the hairdressing salon in town. You know the one opposite the 'All you can eat' Chinese buffet that does the nice pork balls and that funny, exotic beer your Dad likes. Do you remember? The Chinese that got closed down for a month because one of the customers found a cockroach in her hot and sour soup? Do you know the one I mean? Well it's the hairdressers next to that. Oh... What's it called...?" She hesitated.

"Curl up and Dye."

She sniffed. "Me?"

"No mother," I sighed. "The hairdressers. It's called Curl up and Dye." How fudgin' appropriate!

PLEEEEASE VOTE ON THE CHAPTERS IF YOU LIKE IT! :-)