Chapter 1 - Dressed to Impress

I slammed the door of my locker. Schools out. Most people would be happy about that, but not me. You see, I hate going home, to my wannabe barbie stepmom, and her carbon copy daughter.

"Still seething over your stepsister, I see." Leila, my best friend, says to me, quirking her eyebrows.

"Yeah.. sometimes I wish my mom was still here, Lei."

"Well at least you know she's looking down on you." I smile slightly, she always knows just the right thing to say.

Her expression changes into a sly smirk, I could see mischeif dancing around in her misty green eyes.

"No." I say solemnly.

"Come on! Just tonight, It's halloween for gods sake!"

"No, you know I don't do parties, especially dress up ones." I really don't. I don't understand why kids enjoy getting drunk doing god know what, and waking up to a pounding headache in the morning.

That, and the loud music gives me a headache anyway.

"Please! I promise I will stay right by your side." She pulls off her best puppy dog face. "Please, it's the last party before I move away. Please!"

"I don't know..."

"Please!"

"Okay fine!" I say exasperated. "But only because our leaving, and I want to spend as much time with my best friend as possible."

"Thank you!" She pulls me into a bone crushing hug.

"C-cant b-reath..."

She jumps off of me, shocked.

"Sorry, I keep forgeting how strong I am..."

She mutters something to herself, sounding as if she's scolding herself.

"So where's the party?"

"It's Michael Blake's 's house."

"Michael who's house?"

"Michael Blake's. You know, the star quarterback of this school." She says in a 'duh' tone.

"Oh."

"Yeah 'oh'. Sometimes I think you keep your head in your books than up in reality." She shakes her head, with a smirk.

"Hey! I'm a nerd, and I'm proud!" People around me stare at me as though I'm crazy.

I feel an arm slip around my waist and a warm body pressed into my back.

"Hey babe,"

"Hey." I whispered, to my boyfriend.

"No hi Lei? I'm hurt." Brandon teases Lei.

A look of disgust passes her features.

"Why want to say hello to a dick to yo-"

"Lei." I say warningly. "Not now, I'm not in the mood."

She sends me a sorry look, then struts away glaring at the blonde headed man beside me.

"Sorry about that..." I give an apologetic look to Brandon. "She's always had it in for you, since day one. In fact she's had it in for every guy that has ever dated me. Even the guys in pre-school!"

He kisses my cheek. "No worries, all I want is you."

Aww! "But you know what would help? Your body naked and writhing underneath mine." He whispers huskily.