Chapter 17: Exponential Happiness

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

After we had both confessed our feelings for each other, Sarah and I continued our patrol like nothing just happened. We walked along the empty ruins, talking normally with a light pink blush on both of our faces. I had my roller over my left shoulder leaving my right arm and hand free. Sarah had her weapon over her right shoulder, leaving her left arm/hand open.

She gave me a widening smile as we walked, though it widened even more when I reached over to hold her hand, interlocking fingers.

"You don't mind, do you?" I asked politely with a small grin.

"Not at all." She smiled a loving smile.

We walked together, hand-in-hand, enjoying the day. A silence filled the air between us. Not a word was spoken afterwards, but it was okay. Silences like these aren't so awkward between the two of us. Sarah took a look around to see if she could spot anything, as I did the same.

The day went by surprisingly fast, and our shift ended quickly.

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

We walked back to Headquarters as the sun was starting to go down, turning the once blue sky into a fiery orange. There was a bit of wind that knocked my hair into my face a bit, but I didn't mind.

"Hey you two." Marie greeted us with a grin.

"Heyyyy Agent 3 and Agent 8-" Callie cut off her greeting, noticing our hands interlocked.

"ARE YOU GUYS TOGETHER?!?"

She had yelled with a huge smile and sparkly eyes. Her surprised question echoed across the islands, and Mike and I blushed intensely. We quickly let go of each other, embarrassed. "N-No, it's not w-what you think!" I tried to reassure them, though the Squid Sisters didn't believe a single word. I took a quick glance at Mike, who was scratching the back of his head and looking away shyly. "Mhm. Sure, totallyyy." Marie teased, clearly knowing. Callie squealing and fangirling behind. "Y-Yea." I nodded nervously, now sweating slightly.

"Don't lie to us. We set you two up." Marie laughed as she closed her eyes.

"We did?" Callie asked, lost.

"That's why we did patrol earlier before them, Callie." Marie stated, giving her a look of disbelief. "Wait I told you this plan. Did you forget?"

"Hehe, maybeee..." Callie blushed, rubbing the back of her head.

Mike and I were dumbfounded. We were set up? I'm not complaining of course, but I'm shocked for sure. "You did?" Mike asked.

"Yea we did."

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

Marie went on about how she set it up without our knowledge.

"Everyone always sees you two giving each other the googly eyes like lovesick puppies when the other isn't looking." Marie laughed uncontrollably. "It was obvious you two had a crush on each other." Callie giggled with a wide smile.

"I-It was?" We both asked in unison, looking at each other with a bright blush.

They went on about it for awhile, leaving us both in disbelief. After awhile, we headed back home.

We didn't say a word to each other on the way back, part of me was worried about the silence but the other part wasn't. I looked to my side to glance at Sarah's expression. A blooming wide smile with a light pink blush. I let out a sigh of relief, reassured that everything was fine. I held onto her hand, as she interlocked fingers with me and squeezing my hand.

With a giggle, she turned around to look at me, "I love you, Mike."

Internally, my heart felt like it was explode hearing those words leave her mouth. Externally, I smiled back, "I love you too, Sarah."

I just couldn't stop smiling and she couldn't either. I was happy, real happy, maybe even too happy. But can you blame me? I found love. With a perfect inkling girl.

And that girl just so happens to be Sarah.