Catching a Runaway Pet

Kaiba sat in the silent ambiance of a hospital room. The room gave a gentle, orange glow from a large, open window that took up most of the wall opposite the door. The pale orange curtains helped keep a comfortable atmosphere in the quiet room. A TV hung opposite a white bed, a wall of buttons and other devices, as well as a phone for the front desk hanging against the wall. Other things, such as hospital tools that didn't make much sense to someone out of the medical field, clattered softly together with the soft breeze that entered.

It was maybe 7 PM at the Domino Health Hospital and Seto Kaiba can be seen typing on his laptop on a guest stool near the white bed. A heart monitor beeped to his left, beeping regularly in a slow pattern while multiple tubes from the walls and a device climbed up the side of the bed to a body under the sheets.

Kaiba looked up from his computer, tired, sick eyes staring quietly at the blonde in the bed. His clothes were replaced with the standard light blue hospital robes, but the buttons were down to allow room for tubes to connect to his chest, stomach, etc. A mechanical ventilator was stripped to the boy's face, connecting to a sort of breathing machine. The doctors had told him that the boy's ribs were on the verge of caving in, making his respiration weak, thus the device.

It fogged up a few times before every inhale the boy made, the only thing giving Kaiba the closure he needed.

He shut his computer and closed his eyes. His head felt as if he were the one that was bashed against the brick walls of the alleyway.

Mokuba wasn't badly harmed, so he left the hospital much sooner... but...

He wished so badly that it was him in that hospital bed.

He wished so badly that he had helped sooner before they had gotten ahold of him.

He wished so badly for this all to be a terrible, terrible dream...

But his eyes opened back to the sad sight and his throat clenched up. He bit down in silent frustration.

He remembered the conversation he had with the doctors when he had received the news on Joey's state, and after impatiently waiting in the hospital lobby for almost an eternity, he was not the happiest man when they spoke with him.

________________

"What do you mean, 'He's staying here for a month?!'"

Kaiba yelled at the poor nurse, doctors, and an officer standing behind her as she trembled under the CEO. She peeked at her clipboard as if it could help her, and tried again.

Of course, she stammered, "W-Well, his body w-was seriously injured, and most of his b-bones were damaged rigorously. Not to m-mention his bruises and scars from b-before that haven't fully healed...s-so he might have to s-stay here for a long t-time... The earliest w-we think will b-be a month or two...-"

Kaiba smashed his fist into the wall behind him, his fist leaving a terrible crack and a bit of blood spilling down from his already bloody hands. With a crazed and angered face, he snarled, "This whole hospital is under my name and I pay you and the whole staff of this place good money to do your jobs! Tell the doctors that if they don't hurry up and fix him, they will be fired! Understand?!"

The nurse quickly answered. nodding violently in fear. Kaiba scoffed and marched toward the room Joey had been placed in, the workers soon scampering around and muttering once he left. Kaiba drowned out their voices as he looked down at the blonde.

Joey lay lifelessly in the bed, still so bloody and bruised. The sight made his stomach churn.

When the door shut behind him...