Chapter 14 - Em's selfish decision

The next few days we had left at Tokyo flew by and I was honestly grateful for Nick to have pushed me to tag along. In the end, this trip had been amazing even when we met up with Anna's husband. Turned out he was not as bad as I thought he'd be. I guess when a woman openly pursue another man while being married you can't help but assume something must be seriously wrong with the husband. Chris was lovely though, as calm as a fresh spring morning. And he wasn't honestly bad too look at, not bad at all. His voice alone could make a girl's panty drop. Anna not appreciating any of that made me question her sanity.

We were currently in an SUV, Miles driving us to Nick's apartment. I still had mine, but I rarely spend time at it. I thought about getting rid of it, but somehow I just couldn't take that step. If I got rid of my apartment I was taking ten steps ahead in our relationship and we already started our relationship way too fast so it a good thing to take one step back and just take a deep breath. There was no rush to get rid of my apartment so for the time being, I would just hold onto it. And who knew, maybe one day our fire burned out. Then Nick would kick me out of his apartment and I had nowhere to go. It was good to have a backup plan.

I shot a glance at Nick and noticed his frown, "What's wrong?"

"Chris is still in town."

I didn't understand why that was such a bad thing, "So?"

Nick turned to look at me, "Either his conversation with Anna went really well or it went really bad."

"And bad is not good for us," I whispered.

Nick clenched his phone in his fist, "I really think it's the latter, Em." He ran a hand through his hair and started calling his temporarily assistant so he could set updates with his PR team and crisis management team. Nick was going on the defense here and I couldn't really blame him.

I grabbed my phone when it interrupted everyone's conversation in the silent car. Apologizing quietly before I answered seeing it was Evan, my highly intelligent ally.

"You missed us, didn't you?" I rolled my eyes when Nick muttered something along the lines of Evan being an asshole.

"Yes, dearly...I'm having drinks with Chris tonight. Are you too tired to join us?"

"You're having drinks with Chris?" I repeated, causing my boyfriend to be on high alert, "How is Chris doing?"

"Are you not so subtly asking about his marriage, Emily?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking."

"She asked for a divorce. There wasn't anything he could say or do to convince her to stay with him." Evan took a deep breath, "So since this is his last day in New York I thought I'd arrange a goodbye party for him. Try to cheer him up with booze and beautiful women."

"So where do I fit into all of this?"

"Don't play coy now, Em, you fit the beautiful women category...and the fact that you're a friend of his. Or at least he speaks very highly of you so I assume you two are friends."

I didn't know Chris had taken a liking to me, we got along but apparently, our conversation meant a lot to him. It did to me as well, so I was glad I wasn't imagining things. He'd be a great friend since he was so put together. The complete opposite of Nick, but at the same time just as harsh as him when he did business. Chris would also be a wonderful friend to Nick, maybe someone who could reason with him just like Evan occasionally did.

"Text the time and place and we'll be there."

Nick raised an eyebrow at my statement, but I just shrugged in return. I was definitely going and if I was going so was my boyfriend. I decided on that and I knew that Nick felt the same way. He was just surprised I accepted this without discussing it with him first.