Chapter 14 - Backstage Confession

Hi everyone, sorry I made a mistake in the previous Chapter. To clear it, the name of Edgar’s older brother is Peter Cordes, and not Niel. I think I misuse the name or I just forgot it. Anyway, here you go.

 ____________________

“Congratulations!” Says Peter, the pianist and Edgar’s older brother. We’re already in the backstage when we see him coming near to us. There’s a smile on his lips, a genuine smile I can tell. “You did well, brother dear.” He says again as he attempts to hug Edgar, but Edgar just pushes him away, quite disgusted of his brother’s sudden affection.

“You don’t hug me.” Edgar says.

“You’re so cold.” Peter pouts.

Knowing that he can’t be clingy to Edgar, Peter turns to me instead. Ugh. What’s with his smile? It’s so wide that it seems so creepy. Are all artists like that?

Peter puts his hands to both of my shoulders. He’s taller than Edgar! I can’t believe this height. “I didn’t believe you can sing until I heard you earlier. Well performed, my dear Vivien. It seems to me that it’s not my concert at all. Have you been going to voice lessons?”

“You can’t call her dear, you’re not dear to her.” Edgar interrupts and I see Bella nodding.  

“In fact, you can’t put your hands on her, else your stingy smell remains on her.” Edgar adds as he grabs Peter’s hands away from my shoulders. Uhm…what was that?

“Tsk, a jealous brother. You’re so cute.” Peter squeezes his cheeks and he groans in anger. “Can I touch Bella instead?” He asks while pulling Bella into his chest, Bella’s eyes widen in surprise though.

Edgar mutters something I can’t hear, then he pulls Bella away from Peter, the way he pulls his hands from my shoulders. “You can’t touch her either, you’re not allowed to touch my friends, even if this is your concert.” Oh, I see. So Edgar’s usually like that to his friends, huh. What’s this called, brother rivalry?

“Peter! You’re next to this number. Prepare now.” Peter’s manager interrupts from a corner. We’re all relieved when he’s being summoned. Haha.

“Ugh, alright. Coming.” Peter replies. He passes by Edgar and whispers something to his ear. I wish to know what that is because Edgar’s face flushes red. But it’s only for a moment.

“Why am I so famous?” We hear him muttering confidently. Then he’s gone out of our sight.

“He’s never changed, you know.” Bella breaks the silence. “Always making you feel inferior.” She adds and I know that he’s referring to Edgar. I don’t know what they’re talking about.

“But you like him, anyway.” Edgar replies. I widen my eyes in shock. I quickly look to Bella whose face went white.

“You have a crush on Peter? Seriously?” I ask Bella, she keeps blinking her eyes, I think she’s on a shock herself.

Edgar then realizes that he has spilled something out without thinking wise. But he manages to compose himself anyway, like he always does. “Oh, I’m sorry to spill it out. It’s okay though, Vivien’s not someone else.”

Bella wakes up from her frozen senses, and then she takes off her shoe and throws it towards Edgar. He got hit at his stomach. I know he allows it. “You can’t say that in public! What if someone else heard it aside from Vivien?”

“It’s okay, we won’t tell others.” Someone says. The three of us turn our backs only to find Lucy and John standing by the main door of the backstage.

“John! Lucy!” I exclaim as I run to them to the door. Lucy hugs me and I do the same.

“You sing well, Vivien. We lose.” Lucy smiles at me, then she smacks my right shoulder. “There’s no way you can sing like that before.”

“How did you manage to sing that well for the past few weeks?” John asks, smirking.

“Well,” I glance back to Edgar and Lucy. “I have two good teachers.”

“Mind to introduce us properly to them?” Lucy asks.

I smile again. I just can’t stop smiling now. I go to Bella and says, “This is Bella, she plays the violin. And this is Edgar, he plays the violin, too, but he helps me composing my music. He’s good at it.”

“That is John, and that is Lucy. They’re my long time college friends.” I add, this time to introduce them to Edgar and Bella.

“Nice to meet you both.” Bella and Edgar say while bowing a little.

“Yay!” Lucy runs to us and envelopes us within her wide arms. “This is great! I think it would really work. This is the start of the Mixbreed Musical!”

“Really?” I gulp, trying to pull away from her embrace. Edgar and Bella feel the same.

“We’re in, Vivien.” John answers. “Lucy and I are now convinced that this club will work. High school and college students in one club? This will be history.”

“That’s good to hear then.” Edgar says. “But, can we change the club name? It sounds awkward.”

“I made so much effort to make that name!” I complain to Edgar.

“Still awkward.” He insists.

“Okay, you change it. Think of a good name then.” I reply, quite sarcastic. But we both laugh, anyway.  

“And oh, by the way, we have good news, too. For you Vivien.” Lucy says. I see her sauntering happily towards John, and then she grabs his right hand and entwines her fingers into his. Whoa. Is that Lucy?

“There were so many things that happened while you were busy practicing.” She adds. “John and I…are now dating.”

POOOOT BAMMM BOO BLAAH GAHH DAH LALAAH! What?

Lucy and John?

Okay, I’m not really that surprised but, LUCY AND JOHN?

LUCY AND JOHNNNN?

LUCY AND JOHN DATING?

COUPLE: LUCY AND JOHN?

“You and John?” Edgar speaks the words I couldn’t say due to shock waves inside my brain. Oh, good Edgar, why are you so brilliant? You’re still reading my inner thoughts until now, aren’t you?!

“Yes, me and John. Is there a problem with that?” Lucy says, smiling awkwardly.

“I know it’s quite a shock to you, Vivien, but, yes we’re really dating now. Surprise!” John exclaims but the air is suddenly awkward. I don’t feel like talking.

“Great! As I expected!” I yell anyway. I run to them and puts my arms each to their shoulders. “Congratulations! Aren’t they cute? My two best friends are cute, yah, really!” I shout loudly to Edgar and Bella.

I look at Edgar’s eyes.

Somehow…there’s an emotion I could not describe.  He looks at me hard.

“Congratulations!” I shout again.

“How nice of you…” Edgar says. “…really.”

Congratulations…is an understatement.

And Edgar knows it.