Chapter 23

“You are not angry?” he asked for the umpteenth time.

She wasn’t, and it surprised her he was. She knew he had looked forward to their time away from everything and everyone…just the two of them. Even if it was only for a day, she’d take it with an offer of thanks.

It had been five months to this day; they had last gone on their holiday together. Three days of sun and sand, wrapped in each other’s arms - three days and nights of utter bliss.

She was so lost in the memories they had created together that she forgot to respond to her husband’s question.

“Naina…baby, you there? I asked if you….”

“I know what you asked, Raj. For the sixth time, no, I’m not angry or upset. Why does that surprise you? How many times have I gone back on my word to do something together and you have smiled, kissed me senseless and made things easier for me so I could do what I had to do? Baby, this works both ways. There is no way you would cancel our trip if something really urgent hadn’t turned up. So, yeah, for the last time, I am not angry at all,” she spelled out the last few words.

She was definitely getting angry at him for asking her repeatedly.

She heard him chuckle and heave a sigh of relief.

“I love you, Naina Rajawat. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“I love you too, Varun Rajawat. You don’t ever have to find that out,” she said in a low voice, tears welling up.

“Hey, are you crying?” he asked perceptively.

“No,” she denied and sniffled.

“Baby, I’ll make it upto you, promise. How about dinner tonight? Or we could still make it tonight or tomorrow morning if we leave early. We’ll still have a few hours together before Ria and ma join us.”

“Raj…” she protested.

“Hear me out. I want this, Naina. I’m worried if I don’t get you alone soon so you can talk to me, you’ll clam up again. I want to hear everything from you, sweetheart. And I know we can’t do that with anyone around.”

She sighed. “I never intended to hide it from you, Raj. I was going to tell you everything anyways. It’s just…”

“I love you, woman. Nothing you say is going to change that. Please believe me,” he pleaded. “I acted like a cad recently, and I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted. And yes, I do believe you love me. I’m that awesome,” she preened, feeling on top of the world hearing her husband’s reassurances.

She heard him laugh out loud and joined in.

Then his laughter died down, and she paused, straining her ears to listen to his voice. “You are amazing,” he whispered. “I wish I was there with you right now,” she heard his voice tremble sending a buzz through her body.

“I’m still wearing the skirt,” she taunted softly.

She heard a low curse and smiled.

“I’m driving baby,” he said dejected. He cleared his throat. “Will you …uhm …wear it when I come home tonight?                                                          

“You can take it off me…” she breathed into the phone, closing her eyes.

He cursed again, this time loud and clear.

She was shamelessly seducing her husband over phone when he was on his way to work. She grabbed a magazine off the center table and fanned herself, glad that she sat alone in their bedroom.