Detention | Chapter Three

Copyright 2014 All Rights Reserved

Detention By Claire Chilton

Chapter Three | Rebellion

At breakfast in the C.R.A.P. canteen, a group of fashion models sashayed into the huge hall wearing a variety of skimpy gray outfits, much to the annoyance of Nick Rancy.

When the parade of happy, chattering girls passed his table, he burned with fury at the minimalist approach the girls had taken to their uniforms. He was certain it was the new purple inmate who was responsible for this, and she was going to regret it.

Sneering with distaste, he attempted to jump up to roar for the guards to take Carla to solitary confinement, but he realized-too late-that all the tables were nailed to the floor. Because there was something bulky behind his chair, hemming him in, his knees crashed into the tabletop with quite some force. The dishes on the table clattered loudly and bounced with him.

"Aaah-" He choked on a grape as it shot out of one of the unsteady bowls on the table and launched into his open mouth.

He glanced back while choking to see the back end of an extremely wide kitchen assistant as she cleared away dishes on the long table behind him. She didn't notice his plight as she ambled away.

He continued choking on the grape, unable to speak at all, banging on the table with his fists. He scowled when Doctor Daisy Sloane-the Institute's untrained therapist, whose only qualifications were a calming tone and a desire to do good-praised the girls for their ingenious use of materials and creativity, allowing them treats from the buffet car for innovation.

Mr. Rancy staggered out of his chair and lurched toward Carla. He couldn't breathe, but he was going to strangle that girl if it was the last thing he did.

Hands wrapped around him and crushed his ribs, squeezing him and jerking him about like a ragdoll. He glanced back and groaned when he realized the kitchen assistant had him in her grasp. She was single and desperate. This day can't get any worse.

"Help! Someone, please help him!" she cried.

One of the guards rushed over and stared blankly at Nick. All Nick could do was gag helplessly at the bulky man as the kitchen assistant shook him about, and his teeth rattled.

"Punch him in the stomach."

Nick scowled when he heard Carla Mainston's voice behind them.

He tried to shake his head, but the stupid guard had already raised his fist. The guard launched a fist into Nick's stomach, full-force. The blockage cleared in his throat as the grape shot out of his mouth and across the canteen.

Nick gasped for air, clutching his stomach. I'm going to kill that girl!

"You wonderful girl, you saved him." He heard Doctor Daisey congratulate Carla.

"I don't think it's out yet," Carla said. "Now punch him in the face." He heard her say to the guard.

No, you fool! Nick reacted too slowly as the guard's fist headed for his face at high-speed. The last thing he heard was a giggle. The last thing he saw were meaty knuckles, before the world faded away into inky darkness.

***

"Oh, come on! I saved you from choking, and this is how you repay me," Carla cried as two thickset guards shoved her into a cell in solitary confinement. She stumbled into the room, reaching out for the wall for balance before spinning around.

She tried not to smirk when Nick Rancy stepped into the cell, sporting a shiny black eye and a grim smile.

"I was only trying to help."