Chapter 34

Notifications alerting me of new text messages pop up on the lock screen of my phone but I swipe away each one, refusing to talk to anyone. I know Gracie was hoping we would all go out for dinner tonight, but I don't have it in me to socialize. All I want to do is crawl in a hole and wither away.

Another notification comes in and I sigh out loud. I see that it's a new text from Gracie. I finally open her texts and see a long thread of texts from her.

Gracie: Hey Alexa! How's Vegas treating you?

Gracie: Alexa?

Gracie: You there?

Gracie: Are you okay?

Gracie: I know when I'm being ignored. Why are you ignoring me?!

Gracie: Did something happen between you and Nate?! Do I need to kick his ass because I will? Just say the word.

I laugh for the first time in hours and it feels good. If only it would last, but I know it won't.

Gracie: Don't make me come to your room and get you!

I sit there and stare at her text messages but don't respond.

Should I feign sick or tell her the truth? If I tell her the truth, I may just ruin her joint bachelor and bachelorette party that's supposed to be fun and the perfect way to celebrate her upcoming nuptials. I don't want to take that away from her, but she also deserves to know the truth since it concerns her brother.

I bite my lip nervously, not knowing what to do and just stare at my screen when another text message comes in.

Gracie: I know you read my texts, now tell me what's going on.

Me: Nothing.

Me: I just don't feel good and have been resting since we arrived.

I decide to go with a small white lie.

Gracie: That's funny because Nate isn't feeling well either.

Me: We must have eaten something bad.

Gracie: I'm not buying it. What's really going on with you?

Me: Nothing. I just don't feel good. That's all.

Gracie: I don't believe you or Nate but it's not any of my business. You two can stay in your rooms and mope if that's what you want. The rest of us are going out to have dinner and some drinks after. Have a great rest of your night and "feel better."

Me: Thanks.

Gracie: You're welcome.

I think we're done when another text comes in.

Gracie: And just so you know, you're not off the hook tomorrow. I expect you to join us for brunch, so no more of this sick business, okay?

Me: I'll see you tomorrow.

I let my phone fall to the floor after locking it and drag my fingers through my hair in frustration as I stare at the same spot of carpet I've been staring at for the last couple of hours. I haven't moved from my spot against the door and I can't be bothered to move. I see no point. I don't have to go out to dinner with the bridal party, which I wasn't planning on doing anyway. And I have nothing urgent to do. Nothing matters right now. Not even the fact that I'm sitting in the same spot shirtless.