Chapter 13

I don't think I've ever felt more nervous in my life, and I know I shouldn't be but I am. I'm honestly so nervous I feel sick to my stomach. My palms are sweaty and beads of sweat are starting to form above my brow. I really don't think I could be more nervous than I already am.

I know Gracie is just having a small get together, but the thought of meeting Gracie and Jared's bridal party has made me a nervous wreck and it doesn't help that Miranda is going to be there. I would be a lot more at ease if she wasn't but unfortunately for me, she has to be there since she is the maid of honor and all. I honestly don't understand how someone as sweet as Gracie ended up being friends with someone as vial as Miranda, but whatever the reason, I just hope she never hurts Gracie.

I stare at my clasped hands in my lap and sigh, dreading what's to come. I feel Nate's eyes on me and turn to him to find a broad smile on his face. I try to mirror his smile, but I'm so nervous I can't even bring my lips to curve into a smile. I bet I the expression on my face is anything but cute, but he doesn't comment on it.

"Ready?" Nate asks me and I gulp.

"Not really," I murmur under my breath.

"What was that?"

"I said, yes. I'm ready," I lie. He doesn't look convinced but he doesn't call me out on it either.

"Okay, let's go." He gets out of the car and makes it to my side before I can even get out of the car. He offers me his hand and I gladly take it.

"Thanks," I tell him gratefully before adjusting my dress and running my fingers over my curls nervously.

"Stop fussing. You look beautiful," he tells me, noticing my preoccupation with my dress and my hair.

"Sorry. I just-"

"Quit your worrying," he says, cutting me off. "Everyone is going to love you," he reassures me.

"Everyone but Miranda," I correct him.

"Forget about her. You don't need her approval. I like you and that's all that matters. Okay?" he tells me as he brushes a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Okay," I respond shyly.

"Now let's go," he says with a big smile before taking my hand in his and leading me towards the front door of the beautiful two-story house. "Want to do the honor since you're closer to the doorbell?" Nate asks me and I laugh. I press the doorbell and seconds later Jared answers the door, startling us. He must have been close by when I rung the doorbell.

"Alexa, I'm glad you could make it," Jared tells me and I smile.

"Me too."

"Natie, it's always a pleasure seeing you," Jared says playfully to Nate.

"I can't say the same for you," Nate responds before punching Jared in the arm.

"Ouch. I guess I deserved that," Jared says with a grin before moving to the side. "Please, come inside."

"With pleasure," Nate says and does not loosen his grip on my hand as he leads me inside.

"I'm so glad you're both here!" We hear Gracie's all too familiar voice greet us from the top of the stairs. She immediately runs down to us and pulls us both into a group hug.

"We are too. Now could you give us a little breathing room?" Nate asks her and she laughs in embarrassment.

"Sorry about that," she says apologetically.

"Don't worry. I'm fine," I reassure her. "I don't know about your brother though," I add with a grin.

"I'm not. I nearly lost it there," Nate interjects and she smacks him on the arm.