4, Onyx

4

You quickly step backwards, surprised and excited at the same time. It’s like meeting a celebrity or something, you’ve been thinking of him, but you never expected meet him again.

“Sorry” You mumble under your breath. You quietly let out the breath of air you’d been holding in.

When you regain your senses, you notice his presence. Despite his lax appearance and calm attitude, you feel intimidated by him. He carries an aura of authority even though he can’t be more than 19 years old.

 It’s like the world slows down as he looks at you and you look back. You look away, feeling your cheeks flush furiously.

“Who is it?” You hear a voice from inside the room.

You force your attention away from the boy with black hair and walk into the room.

“Oh, it’s you,” the voice says. The voice belongs to that boy you brought in earlier. Color has returned to his cheeks and he is propped up against a mountain of pillows.

“You know her?” A voice asks from behind you. Even his voice radiates a strong yet magnetic feel.

“Yeah, this is the girl that brought me here,” the boy in the bed says. You feel slightly offended, I mean, do they not realize your standing right there?

You make a small ahem sound and the boy snaps his attention to you. You pull up a chair next to the bed, just like you had with Jase.

“I’m Kylie,” you say quietly.

“I’m Tom, but you can call me Tommy,” the boy says, giving you a grin and holding out his hand. You can’t help but notice how hard his hand is trembling and you remember what condition the boy was in when you brought him here.

“You can call me Kay,” you say grasping his hand. After an awkward moment of silence, both of you retract your hands.

"Are you ok?" You ask, trying to keep the conversation alive.

"Yeah, I feel a ton better, the nurse people knew what they were doing." You want to ask him what happened but you feel like that'd be too personal so you stay quiet instead.

“Well, I feel thoroughly  left out,” the voice form behind you says. You think that the voice sounds closer so you turn around and you were right. He’s literally right behind you come face to face with his black jacket.

The black haired boy doesn’t seem to notice as he pulls up another chair next to you. He stares at you for a second with his intense dark eyes and says, “I’m Onyx.”

“Onyx? Like the stone?” You ask.

“Do you know another meaning for ‘onyx’?” he responds with a hint of amusement.

You feel yourself blushing again. What a stupid question.

“Well, Tommy, I’ve got to go before Vega kills Kale,” Onyx says, getting up slowly.

“Tell ‘em I said hi and that I’m sorry,” Tommy says.

Onyx just nods as he starts walking out of the room. Your eyes trail after him as he walks. Something about him just clicks with you, his eyes, his hair, his clothes? You can’t quite put your finger on it but something about him makes you want to follow him.

You feel Tommy’s gaze on you but you can’t stop looking at the doorway even when Onyx is gone.

Tommy coughs and you whip your head around to look at him, startled by the sudden noise.

An amused look is on Tommy’s face as he tells you, “Yeah, Onyx does that to people.”