Prologue

**trailer on the side by the outstanding @novemberdreamer !!**

✖ Prologue 

        WRISTS BOUND BEHIND her back, she didn't remember arriving here. Where was she? Obviously sat in a chair with a rope chaffing her skin. She wiggled her knees to realize that they too were held down. Her eyes are opened but the room is dark, a faint glow coming from one side that she can't quite pinpoint. A candle, maybe?

        She went to open her mouth only to feel a cloth preventing her from doing so. Panic struck her nerves, coursing her veins as she frantically searched around her. A flame ignited in her shoulder, a reminder of the bullet that had settled into her skin only... how long ago had it been? She didn't seem to have a sense of time.

        And her shoulder - it had been bandaged up.

        She didn't remember what happened previously, but realization soon hit and she noticed she was alone. Harry was not beside her, not comforting her. Daniel was not singing odd lullabies off-key. Marcus was not there, which may be a benefit, but she would've been relieved to see any familiar face at this moment. Anyone who could explain - 

        "I'm sorry it had to end so abruptly," a woman's voice said from the lit side of the room, and yet she could still not make out features. "The fight you all put up was remarkable."

        She recognized that voice - Cecilia Larkin. The head of the Council. The reason it had been so difficult for them to get away, for them to be safe. Cecilia who desperately tried to convince the people that labels meant more than actions. The woman who had everything all wrong and backwards.

        "Tell me, Rose." Her lanky figure appeared, face taut with wrinkles evident as she looked down her nose at her. "How far did you think you would get?"

        Rose wanted to scream at her. How was she able to answer when there was a gag keeping her from doing so? So instead of talking, Rose gave her a look, one that she tried to prove to Cecilia just how dumb she really was.

        Cecilia nodded once. "Right then. Nathan, you may untie the gag."

        Rose didn't try to look at whoever undid the gag, because as soon as she could speak, she exploded. "Where am I? Why do you look like some goth witch lit by candle light? Why aren't the lights on? Where are the others? How did you-?"

        "Silence." Cecilia narrowed her eyes at the girl in the chair, rubbing her temples. "I'm surprised they haven't dumped you off sooner with your blabbering."

        It was true; Rose knew she had a tendency to talk excessively.

        "I just want answers," she muttered under her breath, shaking her head. "Please."

       "Fine." Cecilia straightened, clasping her hands in front of her as she began to descend the three stairs that parted the platform from the floor. She waited until she was just in front of Rose to speak. "You have failed once again to escape me. There's your answer."

        Rose glared up at her. "Then how about an answer to your bald spot? It's seriously visible."

        It was the wrong thing to say, but Rose couldn't help it. She had been slightly sarcastic before and being around Harry when he was speaking to Daniel didn't help. He was definitely rubbing off on her, whether she liked it or not.

        Cecilia seemed to disapprove. "Please do not make me torture you to get you to close your mouth. Let I remind you that you are not the only one with powers here."

        If only I knew how to use mine, Rose thought with a roll of her eyes. She still hadn't grasped the concept of how to control them. They just seemed to...happen.

        "Now, any other questions?"

        Rose opened her lips.

        "That don't include teasing my physical appearance?"

        Her lips closed again.

        "That's what I thought," Cecilia said as she folded her hands behind her back. "Now, the only information I will give you is that we have taken three of your accomplices into custody. I'm sure you have a valid idea of who those three are."

        Rose could only glare at her, but she managed to ask, "What about the others? You let them go?"

        "Harry Styles, Marcus Styles, and Daniel Smith are the most vital to us. You see, they are the only ones capable of overriding the system. The others are too weak therefore they are useless to imprison. If they were to come to your rescue-" She grinned deviously "-they would not make it past the gates before death consumed them."

        "So what do you want from me?" she snapped. "Why am I here and they aren't?"

        "Oh, don't sound so afraid, Rosalie."

        "I'm not afraid of you."

        "Your heartbeat begs to differ." She narrowed her eyes on Rose once more, but it was not Cecilia Rose was afraid. She was afraid for Daniel and for Harry. If she's honest, Marcus could get thrown off a cliff and she wouldn't give it a second thought.

        Rose swallowed. "I'm confused. Could you just stop beating around the bush and tell me you're going to kill me?"

        Cecilia laughed - she actually laughed. Did she find humor in the situation? It only made Rose loathe her more. "Oh, please. We aren't going to kill you, Rosalie."

        "You aren't?" Rose raised an eyebrow, suspicion taking the best of her. She didn't trust Cecilia as far as she could throw her.

        "Of course not." And then that wicked smirk returned to her lips. "We have far bigger plans for you, my dear."