Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 23)

"Wait, I'm sorry, he did what?" Sango practically yells. I quickly shush her to keep from drawing the others' attention and waking them. I'd just finished telling her about Sesshomaru's and my conversation outside. We're both smiling and giggling like the high school girls we are. We look around for a minute before continuing. "Are you sure you didn't imagine all that? He doesn't talk! And as far as I know he hasn't dated anyone seriously, no one's good enough for him." I bite my lip, shrugging. 

     "He talks to me..." She laughs before tackling me in a silent hug.

     "I am so glad this is actually happening! I mean, he's hot, he's sweet... I think... and he's not gonna pull an InuYasha on you!" I roll my eyes at her over-enthusiasm. I mean, yes, I'm beyond thrilled, but at least I can contain it. 

     "Would you two chicks quiet down over there? Some of us need to sleep!" InuYasha groans, angrily. This, of course, makes us laugh even more. 

     "Sorry!" I whisper yell. I hear him mumble incoherently from his spot on the floor and roll over. Sesshomaru is to my left, Sango on my right with Miroku right next to her. InuYasha is on the other side of the room in the furthest corner from me with Kikyo in his arms. Shippo, the poor baby, is doing his best to stay away from them. I look at Sango, trying to relax, and mouth 'We should go to bed too.' She nods, rolling her eyes. I turn onto my back, closing my eyes, and try to sleep. I hadn't realized how tired I was until I'd already passed out. 

     'Run, keep running, don't look behind you...' I repeat this to myself, pushing through the woods. Trees, shrubs, and thorn bushes pull at my clothes and tear my skin. 'Don't stop, keep moving!' Trees snap in half behind me. The earth shakes and trembles, causing me to trip and lose ground. 'Faster, he's almost here!' 

     "Going somewhere, Kagome?" I gasp, turning around. Naraku stands before me, his aura dark and menacing. I narrow my eyes. 'I can handle this.' He smirks. "I'm only going to ask you nicely once, Miss Higurashi. Where is the jewel?" I remain stoic. He sighs, irritated. Suddenly, he stands in front of me. Before I can retreat, he backhands me into a tree. My head makes contact first, with a sickening thud. My eyes roll around for a moment as black and white pixies dance before my eyes. I close them tightly before trying to stand. Naraku picks me up by the throat, hand dangerously close to crushing my windpipe. I gasp for air as he raises me higher, my feet kicking in the air. I claw at his hand, drawing blood, but to no avail. "Hand it over, girl." I try to shake my head; he hits it against the tree once more, bringing the return of the pixies. I whimper in pain. He smiles, cruelly, pleased to have received a reaction from me. He raises his other hand and gently runs his fingers across my cheek. 

     Lack of oxygen causes my vision to fade, my kicking persists weakly. I arch my back in pain. I'll die soon, suffocation will be the cause. He leans in next to my ear and I barely hear him whisper, "Time to wake up, girl. I'll see you soon." 

    I sit upright, a scream on my lips, only to fall into someone's arms. I cling to them in desperation, tears drenching my face, silent sobs wracking my whole body. I'm alive... I'm alive... I rest my head on my savior's chest, gripping their shirt with both hands. They run a hand through my hair trying to calm me down while holding me tightly to them with the other. I sob harder, whimpering quietly. 

     "Please... don't let him get me..." I beg the person holding me. They tighten their grip around my waist, pulling me onto their lap. 

     "Never," Sesshomaru's calm, smooth voice promises, "no one shall harm you while I am here. I will protect you until my last breath." I shiver as the cool air brushes against my bare legs. I'd kicked my blankets off. Holding me in his lap with one hand, Sesshomaru drags my mat over to his and lays me down, covering me up. He then drapes his arm over my waist and allows me to use his other as a pillow. My heart is still beating too fast for me to sleep immediately and tears still fall from my eyes. He runs his claws through my hair, helping me relax. "If you have another nightmare, think of me. I will protect you, even in your dreams." I curl up into him, breathing a sigh of relief. I hear a strange growl from across the room, but choose to ignore it as I'm exhausted beyond belief. Mumbling soon follows but I'm already too far gone to care. I hear Sesshomaru sigh in annoyance and furrow my brows in wonder. Sleep soon consumes me once more, free of nightmares.