Wrong Turn Turns Out Right (Ch. 22)

Kikyo holds my stare for a few minutes, tension building quickly around us. There's a long scratch across her cheek and her clothes are torn. Blood stains her shirt but not enough to be lethal. She'll live. She scowls at me, a slight look of triumph in her eyes before,

     "Kikyo?" InuYasha's voice is concerned but slightly annoyed. Her face changes from menacing to tortured and dying in half a second. That little... "What are you doing here? What happened to you?" He runs over and kneels beside her. I roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. Sesshomaru takes a step closer to me, standing just behind me, a little to the right. He leans down until his lips are right next to my ear.

     "Do not do anything foolish or harm the girl. These people know her and will not take her murder kindly." I smirk and look up at him over my shoulder.

     "I'll behave if she does." He allows the smallest of smiles to take over his lips.

     "Good puppy." I giggle and go back to listening to Kikyo's story.

     "I was just so worried, and I had this terrible feeling that something had happened to you. Then I remembered the jewel and I came to take it back." A growl ripples through my chest as my nails lengthen to claws.

     "Excuse me?" She looks over at me as though just realizing I was here. I watch the glare in her eyes turn to shock as she sees the jewel resting against my sternum. I smirk back at her, holding back a laugh. "Surprise."

     "But you're a demon, how are you not completely fried by now?"

     "I'm a priestess too, kind of counteracts the purifying properties. Sorry to disappoint you." She looks away, realizing the others were watching, judging her reaction.

     "I'm just glad you're all alright. Now, to be safe, I'll be taking the jewel and protecting it. Thank you for guarding it in my absence." I shake my head, sensing the oncoming fight.

     "Yeah, I'm thinking not." She looks genuinely surprised and confused at my refusal. I hold onto it, seeking comfort from it's warmth.

     "And why not?" My throat tightens and my vision turns red. I close my eyes and take a deep breath before opening my eyes again.

     "You left it. I've had it for years now, you can't just take it back. It was given to me and now it's mine. I'm sorry, but I'm keeping it." She scoffs, rolling her eyes. My nails bite into my skin and I feel blood running through my fingers. I try to calm my rapid heart rate and breathe slowly. I feel someone's hand on the small of my back and am about to blow up on them until I realize it's Sesshomaru. He's warning me. I nod so he knows I understand.

     "I'd hate for you to turn to ash or taint the jewel with your tainted blood."

     "That hasn't been a problem yet and I don't see it happening either."

     "Kikyo," InuYasha whispers. "Just let her keep it. If things start going wrong, you can take it back. Okay?" She sighs, nodding.

     "Fine. But only because you asked. I really do miss you, baby." I roll my eyes, gagging.

    "Right, well, you two can have your warm cuddly reunion out here and when you've brought the rating back down to PG, feel free to bring it inside. I'm starving though." I turn around and begin walking back to our rented room. Sesshomaru walks beside me.

    "Well done. You may want to take care of your hand, however." I look down at my hand and see blood running down my forearm. I check my dress to make sure it was still clean. Safe.

     "I guess I should. Thanks. Where could I..." He nods his head, resting his hand on my lower back. "I'll be in in a few minutes, just gotta clean up some. Don't let Miroku have my food!" I yell over my shoulder to Sango and Shippo. They nod, smiling, and walk inside. Sesshomaru leads me to the side of the building and around back. "Thanks. I didn't realize I'd..."

    "It is fine. I just wish you would not hurt yourself. To harm such beauty should be a crime." I blush and look at the ground.

     "I'm really not that pretty..." Sesshomaru stops walking, pulling me closer.

     "You should not speak such lies." I shake my head.

     "I'm not lying though. Compared to other girls, I'm really not very pretty." He raises his hand and rests it on my cheek.

     "Compared to you, other girls are nothing but extras in the film where you're the main star. Your beauty and kindness surpass that of everyone." I blush deeper at his words, biting my lip. My breathing becomes shallow and my heartbeat quickens. The lack of distance between us doesn't exactly help matters... "Kagome, look at me." I do as he asks, meeting his smoldering eyes. "Have I crossed a line?" I smile, giggling a little bit, shaking my head.

     "No, you haven't." He smirks, kissing my forehead. 

     "Good. I was concerned I had frightened you away." I look up at him, mock incredulity on my face.

     "The great and powerful Sesshomaru, concerned? Perhaps even... fearful?" I gasp at the impossible accusation. He rolls his eyes slightly. 

     "Should you tell anyone, I will deny the whole matter." I roll my eyes, smirking.

     "Oh, calm down pup." I stand on my tiptoes, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. His face is shocked, well, for him, when I drop back down to normal height. "I won't tell a soul." I smile up at him. 

     "Close your eyes." He commands. I look up at him in confusion before complying. Eyes closed, I listen very carefully. The air rustles as he leaves and returns. Something cool and wet is poured on my hand and up my arm. His surprisingly soft hands rub away the blood drying on my skin. He holds onto my wrists and I feel his breath on my nose. He's only inches away, maybe two. My heart races at our proximity.

     And then his lips are on mine, slow and careful. I kiss him back, wrapping my arms around his neck as he holds my waist. He smiles against my lips and I wish my eyes were open to see his perfect smile. It's too soon when we break apart, a smile on my lips while a simple smirk adorns his. 

     "Much better when I'm not dying on the floor." He chuckles, quietly. 

     "I should hope so. Does this mean you have made your decision?" I think about it for a moment. I don't want to make a rash decision just to spite InuYasha...

     I find myself nodding, watching as his smirk grows into a small smile. He lifts me up and spins me around as I cling to him. We kiss one last time before walking back hand in hand. 

     "Thank God..." He whispers. I act like I hadn't heard him, knowing he'd be embarrassed if he knew I had. I smile, knowing I'd made the right decision. We walk in, ignoring everyone's silent stares, and immediately start eating and laughing along with everyone else, feeling happier than I have been in a long time.