Chapter Thirteen: Four Brown Eyes

I'm harvesting corn when the sound of hooves makes me look up.

Charles.

I can't help but smile at the sight of him.

"Hey, Charles!" I say, picking up my basket of corn. I'm about done anyway.

He's frozen looking at me.

I look over my shoulder. There isn't anything.

I look back at him, silhouetted against the golden, pre-sunset sky, making it look like he's glowing.

I suddenly realise how extraordinarily beautiful he is.

I push the thought aside for now. I don't want to fall in love again.

Not after Javier.

I'm over him, though. It was over a year ago. It's a new century now.

"Do I have something on my face?" I ask.

"No," Charles shakes his head and dismounts Taima. "I was in another world,"

Then why is he blushing a little?

Probably just the light.

"Do you want to sit out here?" I ask. "The sunsets really are quite something,"

"Okay," Charles says. "Anything I can help with?"

"Nah, I'm good. So, how's life been recently?" I ask as we sit down on the porch together.

*

We watch the sun go down. We've fallen into an easy, comfortable silence.

I feel something brush my hand. I don't have to look to know what it is.

Our fingers intertwine and it feels right.

I know how I felt when I kissed Javier. I was convinced that he was the one.

And now, yet again, I feel like I've found the one.

But this is different.

My love for Charles crept up on me and I didn't realise until today that I've been in love with him for over a year.

I rest my head on his shoulder as the world darkens.

"How long?" I ask softly.

He knows what I mean.

"I always thought you were different," Charles murmurs. "Special. I just thought that I liked you as a friend... but today I saw you in a whole other light,"

A smile slowly spreads across my face.

"What about you?" he asks.

"The same, I suppose. I never really knew you. But then, over the past year... I don't know how to describe it. And then, today, everything fell into place," I say. "Why I always noticed your eyes and your laughter as opposed to anyone else's. Why I invited you over more than the others. Why I always felt, no, still feel safe with you," I turn my eyes to his.

"I love you, Charles Smith," I whisper.

He smiles. "I love you too, Ella Matthews,"

And then we kiss.

It's not hungry like it usually was with Javier.

No. It's utterly different.

It's contentment and comfort, hope and light. Golden and joyous and safe and warm.

It's everything I've ever wanted.

*

"Bye, Jack," I say, giving the now 5-year-old a hug.