Chapter 19: Like The Good Old Days

When I get back to the beach, Scrum is waiting for me with a skiff.  "Cap'n said to wait for ya."  He explains.

I nod.  "Thank you, Scrum."

Scrum looks behind me.  He seems anxious.  "Is anyone else comin' wif you?"

"No.  I imagine Jack and Angelica have other plans."

Scrum looks disappointed and holds out his hand to me.  "Well, come on then, into the boat."

I gingerly climb in and sit down.  Scrum begins to row us back to the Revenge.

When we get to the ship, some of the other crewmen help us climb aboard and secure the skiff.

I hear a door shutting and look up to see Barbossa coming out of the Captain's cabin.  He is dressed in his old clothes, minus the hat.  I grin.  My pirate.  I walk over and climb the stairs to the helm.

When I get to the top, Barbossa holds his hand out and smiles.  "Welcome to our new ship, Sylvia."

I take his hand and make an effort to smile.  I'd rather have the Pearl, but Hector really wants this ship, and if he's happy then I'm happy.

"Sir."  I hear the cabin boy say behind us.

Barbossa and I turn around.

The Cabin Boy holds out Barbossa's hat.  "Found this below decks."

Barbossa takes the hat and flips it onto his head, then he pulls out the magic sword and jabs it in the air.  The sails unfurl automatically.  Barbossa thrusts the sword forward and the ship lurches into action, knocking the crew off their feet.  Barbossa and I grab the railing in front of the helm to stay upright.

Barbossa sheaths the sword and yells down at the crew.  "All hands ply to windward!  Get crackin' ya bloomin' cockroaches!"  He laughs his old laugh, and I grin.

The crew laughs nervously and gets to work.

"The crown served me well!  Barbossa holds up a piece of parchment.  "But now, by the gods of sea and sky, make way for Tortuga!"  He rips up the parchment and throws his hands in the air, laughing.

I grin and hug my husband.

Barbossa puts his arms around me.  "We be startin' a new life, Sylvia."

I stiffen.  Didn't you just say we were headed for Tortuga?

Barbossa senses the change.  "We'll still be pirates o' course."  He puts a hand on my stomach.  "But we're goin' ta be more careful from now on."

"Aye."  I say.  "Going after the Pearl shouldn't be that dangerous."

"Sylvia."  Barbossa sighs, exasperated.  "We've already got the Revenge."

"I know.  But there's something on the Pearl that we need.  That you need."  I look pointedly at his peg leg.

Barbossa sighs again, more sad than frustrated this time.  "Do ye have any idea what long odds those be?  That me leg will still be there, and that it can be reattached?"

"Blackbeard put the Pearl in a bottle after the attack.  I saw it in the cupboard in the Captain's cabin.  Jack was in there, and Cotton's parrot.  I'm sure your leg will be there too."

"Then why don't we just go get it from the cupboard?"

I look at him with one eyebrow raised.  "What makes you think it would still be there?"

"Jack was busy at the fountain, wasn't 'e?"

"Aye, but he could've sent Gibbs."

Barbossa rolls his eyes in annoyance.  "He thinks of everythin'."

"You have to admire him, really."  I can't help but smile a little.

Barbossa just looks at me and I have to laugh.

"So how do we find the Pearl?"  Barbossa asks.

"I imagine Jack and Gibbs will head for Tortuga.  And probably Angelica too."  I add with a growl.

"Aye."  Barbossa looks curious.  "What was it that ye, 'had ta do', back at the fountain?"

"Stop Jack from making Angelica immortal.  I knew he would if I left him to it.  So, after Blackbeard took the tear-less chalice I forced Jack to drink from the other."

"Ye made Jack immortal?"

"Aye."

"And what of Angelica?"

"Jack bandaged her shoulder.  She'll live."

Barbossa pauses for a moment, then looks sideways at me.  "I know ye hated her too.  Why did ye not kill 'er?"

I take a deep breath.  "I will not kill a mother and child."

Barbossa looks surprised, and then not.  "Jack's, don't ya think?"

I nod.  "Most likely."

"But how did ya figure out that she was..."  Barbossa looks awkward.

I smile slightly.  "Once I realized about myself, I recognized the signs in her as well.  Only she was more discreet about it."

We are silent for awhile, then Barbossa turns and looks at me curiously.  "How were ye plannin' on reattachin' me leg?"

I grin.  "With Aztec gold."

************

Last chapter!  I'm sad that it's over, but happy that I actually finished it.  However I'm not done with the Barbossas yet (Obviously). ;)  Keep an eye out for a short story that I will be writing soon! :D