2

I stand on the concrete of the bus lot and look around at the people milling around me. I'm trying very hard to not feel overwhelmed but they all seem to know each other and no one has introduced themselves to me and I can't decide if I should wait for them to approach me or if I should say something to them. My worries are only amplified by the early wake up call, it's not even seven yet.

Two large tour buses sit idling in their parking spots. I assume one is for the band and the other for the crew but we haven't been directed onto either yet. I feel my phone vibrate from its place in my back pocket so I let go of my suitcase handle and pull it from my jeans.

A text from my sister.

I love you loads sissy. Cope and I are so proud of you. You have worked so hard for this and you will be great. We already can't wait to have you home. Text us every day. Love you love you love you!

I grin and shoot back a reply.

Miss you both already. I'll call every night! Love love love you!

A throat-clearing cough causes my head to snap up.

"Um, hi!" I reply, surprised to see Matt standing so close to me.

"Hey, so I'm just giving out bunk assignments. You're on bus two with the crew, bunk nine you can go ahead and load up."

"Sweet thanks."I grab my suitcase and wheel it towards my assigned bus, struggling to lift it up the stairs until two tan arms grab it from me just as it tries to fall backwards on top of me.

"Shit, thank you!" I say, looking up into eyes that are like the color of the finest chocolates I've ever seen.

"No problem. Oi, Mark! Come get the girl's case you asshole!" He yells past me up the bus stairs. A man that looks to be about my age appears at the top and they hand off my case as my cheeks turn a deep crimson.

"Thanks." I mumble as I trudge up the stairs still slightly embarrassed.

"Don't mention it." He calls behind me. I reach the top of the stairs and introduce myself to Mark.

"I'm Sage." I say, extending my hand. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get you yelled at."

"No big deal. Cal's just protective of girls when we bring them on tour."

"Okay." I say, trying to get my brain to remember to thank this 'Cal' again the next time I see him.

"So, our tour crew doesn't change much but I know our usual sound guy was unavailable so that must make you the new tech."

"That's me!" I smile. "Do you know which one is bunk nine? I'd love to get this stuff out the way." I say gesturing down to my suitcase.

"Sure. But just throw it on the junk bunk which is twelve for now. We only get them down when we need stuff out of them and that'll give you room to try to sleep in the bunk."

"Oh, that makes sense." I reply, feeling slightly stupid for not realizing this case and me would never have comfortably fit in the bunk together.

"Sweet tatts." He says gesturing to my arms and I glance down at them.

"Oh, thanks! I just got a new one recently." I say turning and lifting the sleeve of my t-shirt to show him the dagger on the back of my left arm.

"No fucking way, Cal just got almost the same one in the same spot."

"The guy from before?" I ask, pointing my finger back to the front stairs.

"Yeah, we did some promo in Europe this summer and he got it done. You'll have to show him. He's got loads."

"Me too." I say, raising my nearly covered arms nonchalantly. I wonder if his dagger has the same meaning as mine.

Liked by katemires and 123 othersSoundslikeSage: smell ya l8tr LA, ya girl's goin on the road 🖤 thank you @5sos for letting me crash your crew for the next few months

SoundslikeSage: smell ya l8tr LA, ya girl's goin on the road 🖤 thank you @5sos for letting me crash your crew for the next few months

"Sage? We're stopping for food. We're somewhere near Denver, better eat now. I don't know when we'll stop again." Mark calls and I check my phone. It's after five and we've been on the road all day. We stopped somewhere in Utah for lunch but I'd only gotten a salad and the rumble in my stomach tells me that won't be lasting me through tomorrow morning and I don't want to sustain myself on gas station rations so I clamber from my bunk and slide into my black vans, following after the rest of crew as we depart the bus and I head for the Panera next to the station the buses are filling up at. Only about six of the group have ended up here the other twelve or so headed instead to the Japanese place next door.

I step up to the counter and place my order, a club sandwich and a bowl of mac and cheese swiping my card before moving to the side to wait.

"Fancy meeting you here." The Cal guy from earlier says, moving to stand just to my left as he awaits his food.

"Haha, yeah I like to eat." I say before feeling my cheeks flush. Why am I so fucking embarrassing?

"We haven't actually properly met, have we. I'm Calum or Cal, whichever you prefer." He says, the corners of his mouth turning up in a hint of a smile. His eyes peer through me and I find myself feeling incredibly intimidated.

"Cool, I'm-"

"Rowen?" The guy placing orders in the pickup window calls.

Shit.

I step forward and grab my meal. I forgot my Panera card was hooked to my first name.

"So, Rowen?" He says, and though I've never been fond of my first name, the way it rolls off the tip of his tongue makes it sound like the most beautiful name I've ever heard. I go to correct him but his order is ready and he moves to collect it. "Nice to meet you, Rowen." He calls as he grabs his food bag and heads back out to the bus.

I sigh as I watch him go, feeling incredibly embarrassed that I couldn't even correct him on my name. Not that it matters though, he's part of the band and most likely won't remember it anyway.

I take my dinner back to the bus, hitting my sister's contact on facetime as I settle in with my dinner.

AN: So they had some interaction!

What do you think so far?

Next chapter preview: The first show of tour! What do you think Sage will be doing? How will it go for her? What do you think of the girl I chose to "play" Sage in the pic?

I feel like she's a very "Cal" girl

Vote and Comment so I know you're here!

I love you guys!

Sav 🖤