Chapter 4 Wedding

"Paul, get your ass out of bed right now or you're going to miss your own wedding!" I ripped the blankets off my friend and started smacking his feet. "Rachel sent me over here to make sure you were putting your tux on correctly. The shower is running. Get in there now before I call Rachel and tell her what a pathetic sight you are." Honestly, Sam should have known better than to plan Paul's bachelor party the night before the wedding. We were up half the night drinking and carrying on down at the lodge. I finally got Paul coherent enough to shower and dress. The other groomsmen arrived shortly after and we ate some of the food Emily had sent me over with. I was anxious to get to the church for many reasons. One, it was my job to make sure Paul was on time and I didn't want to cross my sister today. And two, I wanted to see Nessie. I'd missed our usual Friday night ritual this week because of Paul's party so it had been almost a week since I'd seen her. We talked on the phone every night but hearing her sweet voice only made me miss her more.

We arrived at the church with only a few minutes to spare. The other guys and I waited up front with Paul. I found it amusing that despite the imprinting Paul was still nervous about getting married. I wondered if I'd feel the same way when it was my turn. Jared, Sam, and I were groomsmen. We ushered the wedding guests to their seats as everyone started filtering into the church. I kept my eyes open for Nessie and the other Cullen's. I still hadn't seen them come in when the music started. I hurried back to the front of the church and lined up next to Jared. My father escorted Rachel down the aisle. Seeing her look so elegant in mom's wedding dress and veil I started getting choked up. For a moment I let myself think about how much I missed our mother and how she would have loved to have seen this. After the ceremony everyone headed to the only hotel on the reservation for the reception. It was then I finally felt relieved of my brother of the bride duties and went to find Nessie. Only Edward, Bella, Nessie, and Alice stayed for the dinner and dancing. Since they weren't eating I saw Edward had already pulled Bella out onto the dance floor. They actually looked very graceful together. Bella's change had done wonders for her left feet. Finally, I spotted Nessie over by the guestbook. She was writing a message for the happy couple when I came up behind her and placed my hand on her shoulder. She whirled around, surprised by my sudden appearance. She giggled and her right hand flew up to cover her mouth.

"Sorry I scared you" I said amused by her reaction. "You look breathtaking Ness, absolutely gorgeous." She really did. Alice had outdone herself. The deep blue dress showed off her curves elegantly and revealed just a hint of cleavage. She looked very grownup with her hair pulled up leaving only a few strands of curly bronze hair framing her face. She was wearing the necklace I gave her on her 4th birthday. Maybe she had grown more in the last week but she truly looked like a woman tonight.

"Thank you" she said blushing and looking down to the floor. "Rachel and Paul look so happy" she commented pointing towards the front of the room. They were just making their entrance and everyone applauded. We made our way to the Cullen's table and I sat with Nessie and Alice for a while. After the wedding party dances were over and dinner was served I asked Nessie if she wanted to dance with me. She agreed and we made our way to the dance floor. I took one of her hands in mine and placed my other on her hip. Her scent was exceptionally sweet tonight. I leaned in as if to whisper in her ear and breathed in deep. I looked back at the tables and saw Edward rolling his eyes at me. Bella had a big grin on her face. Great, now Edward turned his head to look at Bella and she tried to quickly wipe the smile off her face. The two of them were going to drive me crazy.

"Did you just smell me, Jake?" she asked curiously. "Ha, yes. Sorry. You smell really good today on top of being so beautiful it hurts" I admitted. She looked pleased. I pulled her a little closer and twirled her around. She laughed and buried her head in my chest, resting her cheek against me. She tilted her head back and whispered something in my ear so softly I barely heard it. Maybe she was hoping her parents wouldn't hear. It sounded like "you look really hot in this tux, Jacob." I felt a fluttering in my stomach. That was weird. I ate all my dinner... and Bella's dinner… and most of Edwards. What was that pounding noise? Was it Nessie's heart? No, I heard hers, it was fast but not like this. Boom! Boom! Boom! I heard again. Oh my God, that was my heart. I felt like it was beating out of my chest! Ness must have felt it too. She pulled back a little to look into my eyes. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to compliment you. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." She looked over my shoulder afraid to continue any eye contact with me. I was relieved she looked away. I didn't know what to say. I wasn't uncomfortable, I was speechless. Suddenly I could feel every inch of her that was touching me. Her fingers entwined with mine, her chest pressed up against me, the skirt of her dress brushing my thigh as we swayed to the music, her soft curls against my face, her shallow breathing in my ear. Oh crap. I was getting aroused! Double crap, Edward heard that and shot me a look like I'd never seen before. All the minds in this room and he still managed to pick up on that one thought. His brain must be tuned to me like radar. In three short strides he had crossed the room and was staring me down like he'd just caught me drowning a litter of puppies.