38 - þrjátíu og Átta

"You know who he is?" I asked him quietly.

"Mhmm," he replied between bites.

"And I suppose you can't tell me," I asked.

"Mhmm."

I sighed. Patience wasn't my strong suit. I was annoyed that he couldn't tell me. What was more annoying was that he knew all along.

"This wasn't how you were supposed to meet him. But I can't go against something the band decides in majority. Nor can I create distrust in their hearts for me by taking you away. You have to go through this, whatever this is. You need to play along," he said.

"I promised I'd protect you, but it was a promise I made to him first. If there's one thing an Alstein can never do, is break a promise.

"How did he find me here? And all of a sudden?" I asked him.

"I keep him informed. He's been keeping his eyes on you for a long time. I wasn't even involved in the beginning. But he started needing help. Getting too close to you was not an option and he couldn't do that while also trying to keep you safe," he said.

"Why you?" I asked.

"He trusts me. I owe him more than just a favor, and he knows I'd never hurt you or your honor, because we are from the same pack," he said.

"Why the secrecy?" I asked, now seriously pushing my luck.

"He is a person of interest for many reasons. And although he moves around amongst the packs discretely, he's afraid that if the wrong people find a connection between you and him, they'll track you down immediately," he said.

Not much of this made sense to me, but I started to realize there were legitimate reasons behind all the planning.

"What about him showing up here? And now?" I asked again.

"Like I said, I keep him informed. After analyzing the situation at hand, he decided that marking you would be necessary. Your pack bond with me exists, but it's weak. A mate bond will be stronger, and he will be able to respond quicker if he feels something is off," he said.

Then he smirked and shook his head, laughing.

"What's so funny?" I asked him.

"Well, that's what he said. But I know he's just fucking jealous. Even if you'll just be pretending to be mated to Bayo, he still couldn't help but stake his claim," he said, now getting up.

I got up too, covering myself tighter in the blanket which was now quite warm. Standing took some effort.

I couldn't help the butterflies that exploded in my stomach at his possessive nature. I know how some women didn't like possessive partners, but that's what makes the mate bond so different. It was wonderful to feel so wanted.

I looked at Sven who was staring at me with a weird look and a smirk.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing. Nothing. I just-" he said.

"You just what?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

He sighed and shook his head again, now walking with me towards the tent I knew May was in.

"I just thought you'd be asking a hundred questions about him, now that you found a link to him. You know, what is he like? Is he good-looking? Is he from a pack? What is his status? Is he crazy too?" he said, laughing.

I hadn't thought about all of that, and neither did I care, but the possibilities made me giddy like a teenager.

I stepped into the tent and looked out at him to find him looking back at me, thoroughly amused.

"Sven?" I asked him.

"Hmm?" he asked back.

There was only one thing I'd wanted to know about him and was allowed to know at this time.

"Is he kind?" I asked him.

Sven looked a little taken aback. His face of amusement changed into a genuine smile. I could tell by his expressions that the answer would be affirmative, but the seconds he took to respond showed me he was running through a lot of things in his head that justified his answer.

Then his smile grew wider, and he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"More than you could imagine."