29 - Tuttugu og Níu

What in the world have I signed up for?

I felt Sven place his hand on the small of my back, as if for reassurance. However, I could feel a certain stiffness in the touch that he was unable to hide.

I waited patiently for Nove to explain exactly where we were going, most obviously unaccompanied, but she moved on to the rest of her plan.

"Once inside, they will use Cloveroot to keep in touch privately. Both of them will pose as a visitor couple, and extract all the information that we need," she continued.

Wait, what?

She looked at me directly and said, "Prove yourself."

I had so many questions. Does she want me to play spy?

I heard a girl who looked much like Nove but younger, clear her throat to catch my attention.

"We're counting on the fact that none of the other Liet bands know of our association with the two of you yet. Although Bayo has been here for a few weeks, he has traveled quite a distance to join us so the other bands wouldn't have their eyes on him.

"And Rayne, you barely just got here and are still under the conditions of the initiation. We highly doubt your whereabouts would be known to them," she said.

I heard some grunts of approval and people nodding in understanding.

"Which band are we targeting then?" Alessio asked.

"We strongly believe the Garou band is involved first-hand in hunting down the dyrith. We need whatever information they have so that we can get to them first. This will give us leverage and is the only way we can give the Palace what it wants before they do," said Nove.

A lot of things started to make sense to me now. This is why Sven wanted to keep me close. Although he only suspects I may be the one they're looking for, he was smart enough to keep me where they'd never find me.

Right under their noses.

...

Nove had dismissed the meeting and the group had dispersed back into the common room, a few leaving to retire to their rooms for the night.

I sat by the table with many thoughts in my mind, creating idle conversation with Bayo who seemed to be a very enthusiastic talker.

Nove and the girl spoke with Sven and the others about the plan. I tried to pay attention at first, but then found it too hard to keep up.

That's why the sudden call of my name startled me almost out of my chair.

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to do that," said Nove, now wearing a soft smile as opposed to her very serious expression from a while ago.

"I wanted to properly introduce myself. My name is November, Nove for short, and this is my sister May. We are the strategists for our band."

I have realized that Liet bands work very similar to actual packs. Perhaps because most of them previously belonged to actual packs.

"It's nice to meet you both," I said shaking their hands.

"We have quite a situation on our hands at the moment. There's a huge price on the head of someone with a very vague description, and the money is big enough to get everyone involved. We're hoping to find this person so that our band can get a boost. We've never been in much trouble, and have been pretty independent up till this point. But with the band getting bigger, we will have to rely on bigger sources to finance us," Nove said.

So basically, we're willing to kidnap for money.

I guess when you're living as a Liet band member, morals take a step back and survival makes its way to the front.

"What kind of information do you need?" I asked her.

"My apprentice here will tell you more about that over breakfast tomorrow," she said pointing towards her sister, earning a scowl and a very loud and irritated, "Partner! I'm your partner!"

"You don't have to worry about anything, however, this is a simple enough errand. You'll be in and out before you know it," Nove continued, while walking away.

"Get a good night's sleep Rayne. You'll need it," she said finally before leaving the room followed by a still irritated May.

"I can't tell if she was being serious or sarcastic," I thought out loud.

"Well, she considers her vague personality a part of her job description. I know, I don't get it either," said Sven.

I just sighed while I watched the room get emptier.

I don't know what I've gotten myself into, but I'm slowly starting to think this was for the best. I don't know if I play a role in any of this, but I'm glad I have someone to look out for me.

I looked up at Sven only to find him staring back at me. He blinked twice and looked away, embarrassed.

"Sorry," he whispered.

I didn't know Sven could be cute.

"Well I better get back too," said Bayo, pocketing his phone. "Good night, see ya'll at breakfast!"

We said our good-nights as everyone else started to leave and I got up when Sven did.

"So umm, do I sleep in the infirmary tonight too?" I asked him, genuinely curious.

"Are you sick?" he replied. His smugness was back.

"No, I mean where do I-"

"You'll share with me."