Chapter 6- The business deal

Rhyde was on the plane back to New York. He stared at the picture of Lucile Fabris, holding him in her arms. She stood besides a tall man, built, with distinct features. It was his dad, Martinez, back in his young days.
She had Ash blond hair, and dark brown eyes. She was a pretty lady, no wonder Martinez fell for her.

Everything else in the box diddn't matter to Rhyde. He found no interest in the diamond ring which he thought was average looking, or the pictures of Lucile Fabris and Martinez. Probably when they were young and in love. These pictures instilled pity in Rhyde's heart for his mother - the one that brought him up.
Looking at the picture of Lucile Fabris holding him as a baby, he wondered what it would be like to have met her. Awkward, for sure, but what would be his reaction? Would he love her like he loved his mother? He didn't think so. This lady had been the cause of Martinez cheating on his poor mother, he would never love her the same. His resemblence, he thought, was impeccable. He had the same Ash blond hair, and the grey eyes.
Although he loved his mother, and hated the fact that he was a product of such infidelity, somewhere in his heart he had a soft spot for Lucile Fabris. She was, afterall his real mother.

------

"Did you know she died? I never got to meet her!" Rhyde snapped, when he found Martinez in hid study.
Puting his pen down, Martinez looked up at Rhyde, "Yes, I knew." he answered calmly, too calm, Rhyde thought.

Rhyde took a step forward, closing the door behind him "This is why you told me now, isn't it? Had she been alive, you probably would make damn sure she and I never crossed path." He continued, hissing under his breath.

Martinez studied Rhyde's expression, giving nothing away. After some thought, he motioned Rhyde to sit down; "I know what is best for you, son. You should know better than to use such tone." He paused, pulling open one of his drawers; Rhyde remained quiet, he knew better than to argue with his father. "Here son, take this. Arrange a meeting with Mr Clarefold, and ask for his daughter's hand in marriage. I have spoken to him, and he is expecting your call."

Rhyde took the business card, and looked at the name. Tom Clarefold, Ceo Clarefold enterprise & Co.
It was his father's business partner, he knew that much.
Anger rose within him, a split of red flashed in his eyes, and he could not remain quiet. Rhyde stood up, deciding to take a stand- literally; "Why would I do such a thing? Isn't my life taking a sudden turn not enough?" Rhyde punched the desk, startling his father, but only for a fraction of a second. Martinez frowned, and pressed his lips. This was Rhyde's que to sit, and remain quiet. After a long silence, Martinez spoke again. "Rhyde, should you not obey, you will loose everything. This marriage will amalgamate the two business's. She is an only child, and will inherit the business. Take this marriage as a business deal if you would like."

Rhyde fisted his hands, knowing this had to be his father's worst decision. He had to call this Tom Clarefold. He knew doing otherwise may cost him his place in the company.