Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“No matter how plain a woman may be, if truth and honesty are written across her face, she will be beautiful.”

- Eleanor Roosevelt

*Rhea*

Rhea and Hadrian walked back to the mansion estate's entrance to greet her parents in the parlor.

“I did not properly introduce myself.” Rhea looked at the man beside her and felt her face heat up. He was handsome. Very handsome.

His rugged features mixed with an attractive structure created an appealing austere character that Rhea found herself gravitating to. When she conjured an image of Lord Vale she didn’t see him as such. She dreaded his reaction to her and was shocked to find him as he appeared to be presently. Now, as he attended her while they walked back, she could see that there was something hidden on his features.

Something very alluring.

“I did not either, Your Grace.” He grimaced.

“Please, address me as Hadrian.” He acquitted. Rhea nodded generously. “You must be very angry, Lady Hemmingway.” Rhea turned to give him a curious look.

“Why would that be?”

“You are to marry out of duty.” He answered; Rhea secretly glanced at him and saw his jaw was hardened.

He was disappointed. Rhea’s composure nearly fell. He was being kind out of duty, was her first thought. How could she fool herself into thinking a stranger would want to marry her? Indeed, had she not felt the same way about him moments before? Granted, one must not rely on appearances, as that could be quite false to the person's nature, but Rhea felt his kindness towards her. Truly, was that enough?

What about herself - A girl who was barely offered for marriage? A girl who could not even being a dowry to their marriage arrangement? He must’ve been ashamed to even look at her! Rhea desperately fought the humiliation that welled up inside her.

Rhea held her emotions under control. Of course, she was being silly. She had just met the man. How could she allow him to affect her so?

“I see, Your Grace.” Rhea’s softened tone took a firm one. “You must think me foolish, do you not? Me, a plain, young maiden, and you . . . Well you’re a duke. What matters should you have for me? I am unworthy.”

Rhea fleetingly understood she was being overly sensational, but she couldn't help herself.

“My lady, I had no intention of-”

“That is perfectly fine, Your Grace. I won’t become a stumbling block to your prideful path. I’ve done enough damage.”

“For goodness sake!” the duke growled, having had enough of her unfounded arguments. “Will you allow me to speak?”

“Why? So that I may be humiliated?” Rhea cried. Lord Vale turned to her and gave her an exasperated glare.

“You assume the worst, my lady. I warn you of that fault.” He said gravely.

“My faults?” she asked incredulously. Rhea couldn’t believe the circumstances at hand. One minute he'd been kind and gentle, and the next he was glaring at her with striking blue eyes. She refused to face the fact that she'd most likely to start their tiff.

She had just met the man, and yet he was already driving her to madness! “My Lord Vale, I would not think of my faults when you’ve had enough of your own.”

Lord Vale narrowed his gaze on her. She had taken this too far, Rhea realized belatedly. Out of anger had she let her feelings rule over her common sense . . .