Reasonings

Maestro stood in silence with an icy stare fixated on Jake. His angular jawline pulsated as he clenched his teeth behind tucked lips. Beads of water raced down his face and arms. The downpour darkened his denim overalls and left tiny droplets on the bronze conduit around his waist. Slipping between the cracks of his tight fist, a faint glow brightened.

Behind him, three beacons of light penetrated the stormy darkness and driving rain. As the beacons crept closer, the shadowed anonymity lifted off two men and a woman, all wearing long, black ponchos and each clutching a shining strata. The trio gathered around Maestro and conversed in whispers, tossing quick glances at me.

One of the men placed his hand on Maestro's shoulder and gave a firm, friendly squeeze. Maestro responded by taking one step to the side, refusing to break his gaze. As the man approached Jake, he briefly turned his head, giving me a swift nod. He grabbed the frayed ends of Jake's adolf restraints and wrapped the excess rope around his fingers.

"Jacoba Andrews, you have a single right," said the man in a formal tone with crisp enunciation. "Any and all indiscretions utilizing the aperas will be addressed by the Roundtable of the Alignment. You have the right to present a case in your defense." With a sudden jerk on the restraints, he pulled her close and whispered, "Enjoy the Corner, ghost."

Jake feigned a smile and let out an airy, sarcastic laugh. As she was forced from the shelter of the pier and into the rain, her entrancing gray eyes sent me a wink. Cartesia was where she wanted to be and she got exactly what she wanted.

I took a step in the direction of the jetties, but was immediately blocked by Maestro. His lack of eye contact allowed me to see the frustration and pain ruling over his facial expressions. After a deep breath, he began to say something, but stopped before speaking a full syllable. He slightly sighed and started again, suspending the first word midway. He groaned as he exhaled the remaining air in his lungs, abandoning anything trapped on the tip of his tongue.

"Maestro, what—" I said, before he held up an open hand and shook his head.

"I'm sorry. I can't right now," he replied, keeping his eyes down. Tinted defeat dampened his voice. As he ran his hand through his ebony locks, he turned around and followed the trio of arbiters with prisoner in tow.

The quiet trek back to Cartesia fed my growing anxiety. The stunning flash of light on the taxi ride to the point paled in comparison to the racing thoughts of Jasper's potential reactions to my disobedience. The exhilaration of rushing wind against my face while passing through the pearl colored clouds was extinguished by the frigid feeling of responsibility for the family I ravaged. The splendor and spectacle of the city was hushed by the voice inside my head, speaking of inevitable downfall. Mike created an emptiness, leaving nothing to fill the void. When we touched down at the entrance bay of the precinct, that emotional hole swallowed any possible answers for my actions.

Countless arbiters congregated around us, loudly cheering and applauding. Jake looked back at me with raised eyebrows and a wide smile before she was escorted behind the walls of frosted glass. As the roaring sound of acclaim washed over me, I realized she was right. Credibility had erased any and all doubt; however, the grin of glory quickly melted. This credibility was truly unearned. Jake had surrendered. She wasn't captured. Lives were broken. This wasn't victory.

"Avian!"

A hand waved above the crowd. Using his long arms, Donovan pried his way to the front. His exuberance blended with the surroundings. 

"Jasper would like to speak with you immediately!" he shouted, trying to keep his voice from being drowned. "He is currently waiting for you in his workshop!"