Candy Hearts & Cavities

As the sharp blade sliced through the rope, severing her from demise, the congregated onlookers shot around, simultaneously—silenced, slack-jawed, stupefied. The hush fell beneath the serene sound of the stream while the pair of rescuers slowly approached, becoming more intimidating with each stride forward.

David cleared his throat. "I want you all to take a moment and let what you're feeling—right now, this very moment—sink in. It's fear. True fear. Do you really think executing a defenseless girl shows any kind of power? It's pathetic. You're acting out of cowardice. And that's what makes you so easy to conquer."

"But, we're not the ones you should fear. And neither is she," Ruth dictated as Maddie and I rushed down to the opposite side of the water. Pointing at us, she added, "And neither are they."

"We're here to help you understand exactly what you're up against—what we're all up against," David said, folding his arms over his broad chest. "We can't beat this without you; And you definitely can't beat this without us."

The murmurs of the villagers faded as the mists of the memory swept the shore, recreating a new one. Maddie, Jake, and I sat on the pieces of the gallows, taken apart and placed in several piles along the riverbank.

Sighing, Maddie hung her head. "I can't believe you're being forced to stay here."

"Not forced," Jake insisted. "I volunteered."

"But, why did you do that?" I asked. "You know that Fuyez isn't a dead zone, right? You're vulnerable here."

"Exactly. Everyone is," she replied. "I never thought the two of you—especially, the two of you—would be against this."

"It's not that we're against it; We just don't understand it," Maddie said. "Mr. and Mrs. Monroe are staying. Don't you think that's enough?"

"Neither of them are elements," Jake argued. "What do you think will happen if they have to face one?"

Maddie leaned back, fully knowing the answer. "I just... need you. I have no idea how I'm going to make it through this next year without you. I mean, Avian's leaving to study with Noah, you're staying here... It's bad enough, having to say goodbye to Somorrah, but having to do it alone? I don't know if I can."

"You can," Jake assured. "Besides, you have that new bestie of yours—Romy, Rosie, Randi—"

"Riley," we both answered flatly, unamused.

"And don't think for one second that she's going to replace you," Maddie continued. "That's just not possible."

"Anything is possible," Jake retorted. "Look at me: I actually offered to do something selfless for who knows how long."

"She's got a point, Maddie," I said, standing and stretching. "Up until today, I thought Jake was allergic to generosity."

Our laughter tapered off as the hazy hue of the relay floated away, scattering into the surrounding trees. 

"Avian! Avian! Where are you, buddy?" Maestro's voice echoed through the rustling pines.

"Over here!" I called back, unsure of where to direct the shout.

"Come on back to the cabin! We gotta go!"

Retracing my steps, I ran through the woods as my mind tried to wrap around the heavy emotions, the merciless retribution, the redeeming benevolence. Darkness strangled darkness, then somehow transformed into light; It didn't make sense, but that wasn't surprising. Nothing had.