16: Missing

Nizlopi - Drop Your Guard <3

______________

"I can't."

"Oh, Amy come on."

"I've been completely swamped these past few weeks I can't come out with you."

"Stop being a sissy."

"Harriet look," She stood up from her bed and looked out of the window. "It is raining, it is almost eight o'clock and I have a shit load of work to do."

"Micah's with you though." Harriet sulked.

"Because Micah is keeping me company."

"Is that Harriet being annoying?" Micah asked from his spot on her bed. "You can tell her I'm going in half hour so you can go out if you want..."

Amy was already shaking her head but Harriet had heard. "See! Come on,"

"Nope, I've still got stuff to do."

"Amy."

She smirked. "Harriet."

"Amy."

"Harriet."

"Stop it!"

"You stop!" Amy teased.

"You're being annoying. Just come on."

Micah rubbed a hand over his face and mumbled, "Say you're sick or something."

"I'm sick." Amy shrugged.

"Fine. If you're so determined not to come out with Lew and I tonight then I'll let you off this one time. Have a goodnight Ames."

"Don't be upset."

"I'm not. But you're going to buy us lunch."

Amy grinned and laughed. "Not in this lifetime. Night." 

"I should really go now," Micah said as she hung up. "I told Jeff to pick me up around half eight. You'll be alright won't you?"

"Of course I will. I literally have two more classes to grade and then I'm done."

"What time does the game finish?"

"Probably around midnight, last time Matt didn't get back until one o'clock."

"Sure you'll be okay by yourself?" 

Amy rolled her eyes. "I'll be fine, I promise."

"Alright, alright."

Half an hour later, Micah left with his infectious grin and Amy got straight back to work. Obviously the first few months she had worked at the college was nothing because since her birthday two weeks ago, she'd been swimming in paper work. On Monday last week her colleagues that attended her birthday didn't once mention her drunken disaster apart from thanking her from the invite. Judging by the satisfied look on Harriet's face, Amy guessed she'd threatened them all.

Last week, she'd started grading, researching and reading four classes worth of assignments. Even last weekend she hadn't had time for anything but work. And now this week she was marking their resubmitted work with their corrections. 

It's been stressful on her sleep pattern but hey. She was working her way through the current pile and it was only Friday. If she played her cards right, she would be lucky to have tomorrow and Sunday to herself. 

It was almost half nine when her phone started vibrating on her bedside table. She uncrossed her legs and leaned over her second pile of work to look at the caller ID. A light smile lit her lips when she saw the name. Honestly, due to the amount of work she had, she hadn't had any time whatsoever to see him. She didn't go to dinner with John last weekend like he'd asked because she literally didn't have the time. Last week she'd probably only seen him once on one of her lunches but that was for an hour; this week was exactly the same. Sure they'd talked almost every night but something was missing. She couldn't put her finger on what just yet. But it was something.