Chapter Forty Seven

“Alex, this isn’t going to work,” Liz says, shaking her head. “They’re just going to arrest you, too!”

            “Not if I pull this off,” I say confidently. “But I need your help.”

            She sighs. “Okay, what do you want me to do?”

            “We’re going to go to the police station, and I’m going to walk right up to the guy sitting at the desk and punch him. He’s going to call for backup. When someone comes and gets me, you are going to do the same thing, and then run up to the officer that has me and kick him. They’ll let go of me to get you, and I’ll run to Matthew.”

            “How are you going to get him out?”

            “I’m going to grab one of the weapons they have in the room and threaten the officers with it while I get him off the table, and then we are going to run,” I say, sure it will work.

            “Alex, this is crazy!

            “Well, I don’t have any other choice,” I say flatly. “I have to do this.”

            “No, Alex, you don’t.”

            “Are you going to help me or not?” I ask.

            She takes a deep breath. “Of course I am.”

            “Good, let’s go then,” I say, standing up.

            “Change your clothes. Make yourself look like someone else,” she says.

            “I don’t have time!” I yell. “They’re probably in there with him right now!

            “Just put a sweatshirt on and wear the hood up,” she says. I throw one on, and we leave.

            “I’m nervous,” Liz says as the bus pulls up to the station.

            “You’re nervous?”

            “Well, how do I get out of there when they come after me?” she asks.

            “Just tell them that you’re pregnant and the hormones made you do it,” I say flatly.

            She rolls her eyes. “Fine, whatever. Where are you guys going to run to, exactly?”

            “I haven’t thought that far ahead,” I say quietly. “I just need to get him out of there.”

            “Well, it wouldn’t hurt to have a plan,” she suggests.

            “Maybe I’ll know when it happens,” I say. “Right now, I don’t have a clue.”

            We get off the bus and walk up to the doors of the police station.

            I look at Liz. “Ready?”

            She nods. “Ready.”

            We walk inside and I run straight up to the officer. I punch his glasses off his face before he even gets a chance to talk.

            “Tim! Get out here!” he yells behind him.

            Tim? Oh, no.