Chapter III: Safety

My breaths come in ragged sharp breaths. the light of early morning breaks through the gaps in my - hang on - not my shelter, it's bigger. I seem to be lying in a bear fur sack, the fire is going. I hear voices, eating, occasionally laughter, a large fire crackling outside.

I try to get up.

'AGH!'

I still can't do it. A girl about my age rushes in with a concerned look on her face. She has leaf green eyes, fairly pale skin (not as pale as mine though) and her brown hair is curly, just below shoulder length. She's a fair bit taller than me and of a medium build. Right now though I'm so starved I'm the very definition of "slim", I haven't had a decent meal in a month.

'Woah woah, I wouldn't try anything like that for a while. I know what it feels like, trust me, it happened to me too. I know you want to get up and move around, but you'll just have to lie still for the next few days, try to get as much sleep as possible.'

'Who are you?'

'Look, I know you're confused, I know you want to know what's going on, everyone does at first, I did, all of us did. So, that is why you should listen to me now.'

She pauses

'We're just like you, we don't know who put us here, why they did it, what this place is. Just like you, each one of us was put here during an extremely horrific or stressful situation. Whether it be attempting suicide, having your family die, witnessing a murder, every single one of us has had something happen to us. Don't worry, you're not alone.'

'Anyway, what's ya name buddy?'

'Jack. I guess this is the point where you introduce me to "we"?'

She grins, 'Yep'

'Hey everybody! Come meet our newest member!'

An extra 3 figures enter the room, 1 female and 2 male, I estimate them to be around 14-16.

'Eh, hi.' I say, bewildered by the sudden attention.

It's the girl talking again. 'He's taken a bit of poison and I think he could do with a good feeding, as well as some water.'

'Oh sorry, I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Isabel, she starts gesturing to the people who are gathered around me in a semi-circle, this is Haden, Matt, and Angel, there are two more, Amethyst and Aaron, but they're busy right now.'

'Ahm, ok, soo ahh... What now?'

'Now, you rest. First though, you need food.'

Isabel leaves the room, predictably to find the food.

'You were lucky you know.' It's the Haden guy, his fashion sense seems to be undoubtedly emo, jet black leather pants, hair that's probably dyed black and a guess-what-colour studded leather jacket. 'If she hadn't found you she hadn't found you, you would've been dead meat out there. We used up the last of our antidote on you. It doesn't immediately stop any effects, you'll still be weak and unable to do anything for a few days, but you won't die.'

His tone is unmistakably negative and unwelcoming.

'Don't let him put you down. He does that to everyone.' It's the girl named Angel

'I'll have you know I'm only telling the truth.'

'The pessimistic truth.'

'Optimists...' He shakes his head and sighs.

'Stop thinking you're better than everyone!'

'Ladies, ladies. Calm.' Matt is speaking now.

'Shut up Matt!' Says Angel in an annoyed tone.