Chapter 15

For PentatonixFangirl

A/N: Posting the next chapter after five comments because I already have it done.

I stretched my arms above my head. It's been a year. A whole year since Mitch and David were put under my protection. I looked over at Mitch. He had his back turned to me.

"Baby-" He turned around with his finger to his lips to signal me to be quiet.

"Someone snuck into bed with us last night." David was sleeping on Mitch's shoulder. Mitch moved his free arm to wrap around my neck. He closed his eyes. I took this time to really look at him. His beautiful face. His soft skin. Those kissable lips. I leaned forward to kiss him. I felt his smile. "Sherry's party for the kids is today."

"I know." He took a deep breath in. Wyatt jumped on the bed with us. He curled between Mitch and I.

"Sweetheart? Wake up." Mitch shook David's shoulder. The little boy woke up long enough to crawl next to the cat between us. Wyatt made himself comfortable as David's teddy bear. Mitch brushed David's bangs away from his face. "Baby boy....do you want to sleep in?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Okay." Mitch kissed his son's temple. Mitch was looking up at me. I got out of the bed and dressed for the day. Mitch followed after he tucked in David. We were standing in the kitchen.

"What time did he come in?"

"Around one. He had a bad dream." I wrapped my around around his waist from behind. I kissed his neck. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes please."

"Two sugars?" I nodded. I put my chin on his shoulder and watched him make my coffee. It was around noon that we began getting ready for the party. "Look who he dressed as." David ran into the living room. He was wearing the same shirt as me.

"I match Papa!" I laughed, lifting him in my arms. He giggled. "I love you."

"I love you too." Mitch was watching in the doorway.

"He wouldn't let me put anything else on him. He wanted to be like you." I smiled. They were like my family. They are my family. I don't want to leave them. I put David down so he could go play with his friends while Mitch and I went to go mingle. I watched Mitch as he spoke to our neighbors.

I've never seen Mitch happier. He was laughing and smiling with our neighbors. He was joking. Everything seemed like it was perfect. I slipped my hand into his and he leaned over to kiss my cheek. I was extremely happy. Until I noticed Mitch's smile fall and his gaze was stuck on something.

"Chris...." All the laughter and talking stopped. My eyes stopped on my best friend standing on the porch. He had bruises on his face and his lip was cut. I glanced back at Mitch. He was in complete shock. His bottom lip began to quiver. Then he ran into his real husband's arms. Chris's hands dug into Mitch's skin as they were hugging.

"Oh god Mitch." Chris was holding onto Mitch closely. I made my way over to them. I looked down at my shoes when Chris pulled his husband into a strong kiss. I could feel the confusion coming off of everyone around us. Including David who was clinging to my legs. "Where's our son?" Chris pulled away from Mitch to kneel in front of David and me. "David?" David grabbed my hand, hiding from Chris.

"David." I tried to pull the little boy forward but it didn't work.

"I'm your dad David."

"Scott's my Papa." Chris looked up at me. Some of the other agents came in to explain the situation to the surrounding onlookers. I knelt down next to David. "I don't wanna go. I love you Scotty."

"I love you too buddy. But I'm not your dad. I'm a friend."

"I wish you were my dad." I felt my heart swell.

"And I wish you were my son. But I'm not your dad." I watched David begin to cry loudly. I couldn't react. I was just staring at the tears pouring down his chubby cheeks and his tiny hands trying to rub them away. Mitch brought David into his arms.

"It's okay baby." Chris was trying to calm David down while I was looking at Mitch. I waited patiently until I could get him alone.

"He can never know."

"So that's it. You're leaving." Mitch closed the door to the room we were in.

"He's my husband Scott."

"He pays attention to you now and everything is okay?" He shoved me back.

"Don't say that. I married him for a reason."

"Oh and you fucked me for fun?" He closed his eyes.

"It's not like that. I love you....I really do. But I'm married. I have a son with him." He bit his lip. "I have to give him a second chance." I felt my heart break. I didn't want him to leave. "I'm sorry Scott." He gave me a kiss on my cheek.

"Don't leave." I could tell he was trying not to cry. I was standing by the other agents when Mitch, David, and Chris walked by. David reached for me.

"Papa!" He was crying. "Scotty! Don't let them take me away!" I looked down at my feet. David got out of Mitch's arms and hugged my legs.

"David....you have to let go." I tried to pull him off my legs. Mitch tried to help me. "Please don't make this harder than it already is." I whispered to David. "Let go." David was crying into the crook of Mitch's neck. I rubbed my chin as I watched them leave.

I didn't see Mitch for weeks after that. I was back at work. We were still working on Mitch's case but there was other things that required our attention. It was only when I got a call from an unknown number that my attention was drawn back to his case.

"Hello?" I was about to walk into the office.

"Scott?"

"Mitch? Why are you calling me?" Mitch let out a loud sob.

"He says to come home. He's going hurt David, Scott."

"I told you to say what I told you to!" I panicked when I heard the voice of the killer.

"I'm sorry. Ow! Stop! I'm sorry. I'll get it right."

"If you don't, I'll put a bullet through this little boy's head."

"No. Please."

"Say it!" Mitch was given back the phone.

"Mitch, are you hurt?"

"I need you to save me Scott." I tensed. This is what the calls from the families said. "How can you save others if you can't save your own family? Come home Scott. We're waiting." The line went dead. I ran my fingers through my hair. Home? That meant our house. I drove quickly, breaking through the door when I got there.

"Scotty!" I looked where David and Mitch were sitting.

"David. Mitch."

"Scott, watch out!" There was a hard blow to the back of my head that made everything go black.