Chapter 9 - What happened at the hospital.

I've finally gotten home from hospital. I’m reporting to you a few weeks after being discharged with a truckload of antibiotics and painkillers, not to mention stitches on my head from the rough tumble and chest pain if I cough or sneeze. In total Tomomi pushing me down the flight of stairs gave me a dislocated wrist, a few broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder and a few stitches in my head. I’m surprised my legs escaped being broken but they did bruise and bleed. I am quite pissed off at the big stitch mark that crosses quite a section of my forehead… plus the chest brace that I need to wear … I think I look like Frankenstein’s monster when I change the forehead dressing or half a mummy with all the dressing on. The doctor said I was a lucky one, escaping the worse of stair fall injuries or death. I do believe Mami may have done some tweaking on me whilst waiting for the ambulance. Meanwhile Tomo earned herself a broken arm and dislocated ankle for latching on and falling down the stairs with me. Now the rest of the household has to put up with me whining about pain and fits of frustration.

 Tomo said she had no recollection of what happened that night. I’m not surprised that that was the case but neither do I know how I should feel towards her since that happened. Mum and dad came to visit me when I was in hospital and were rather furious about what we did on Halloween. There was certainly little sympathy from them.

People who knew of the incident have changed their perception of Tomo along with own and it’s eating her up inside and perpetuating the downwards cycle of emotions. It’s like Haruna and Tomo have switched places. Mami asked if I was going to press charges against Tomo. I didn’t answer, I couldn’t answer because saying yes or no wouldn't solve the problem at hand. Obvioulsy Mami took it as a ‘no’ and gave me a lecture about how stupid I was. I’d never forget the last words before she stormed off. “How could you let her off the hook? That fall could have been fatal and you still haven't woken up. Would you still be saying I get you, I forgive you’ when you’re dead Rina? When you’re bloody dead?! Not to mention what she could have possibly done to Haruna. Rina use your brain and think about it for once!”

  Mami’s biting words echoed and replayed itself countless times in my mind. “I’m not letting her off the hook.” I thought. “She’s ‘hooked’ enough with all chaos being thrown at her and eating her up inside. She hardly talks anymore even when we both got discharged. She doesn’t look at me anymore. Everything is just so mess up inside her she still refuses to believe that she pushed me down to the stairs.

Mami managed convinced Haruna to move out of the house for her safety. But at the last minute Haruna refused. I think she feels a sense of obligation to help Tomo. Anyway thankfully she’s managed resume being a private guitar and music theory teacher to a handful of kids and a few adults. She still takes her medication and occasionally goes to her therapy sessions. At least something is getting back to normal around here.

I bet you want to me to recount what happened after I blacked out and when I woke up in hospital.
Well I can’t really remember much about the first few moments when I became slightly conscious. The anaesthetic had yet to wear off at that point. My muscles had to do weightlifting just to open my eyelids a tiny fraction. I could hear this person constantly telling me to open my eyes.

I had a brief moment where I thought I probably died and had ended up another world. Judging by the white wash walls I then realised would have belonged to a hospital and that I was myself was lying in a hospital bed with an IV drip inserted in my arm.

“Good, you’re awake.” The hospital staff who told me to open my eyes said.

“What time is it?” I asked. God my mouth was so dry and I sounded awful.

“It’s six thirty in the morning.” He said.  “You can sleep now. I’ll send a notice to the reception to let your family know that you’re discharged from the recovery room.”