Chapter 9: Lilian's Wrath

"Maxxie, slow down!" June said, grabbing the car's roof handle as I sped over the speeding bumps.

I ignored her as I pressed further down on the gas pedal. Amanda's life depended on me. Literally.

June's phone rang suddenly rang.

"Max, I don't recognize this number," she said. "Should I –"

"Pick up the damn phone," I said, my eyes fixated on the road.

"Hello?" June said, putting it on speaker.

"Why hello lovely, beautiful night isn't it?"

It took me a few seconds to realize who's voice it was.

"Lilian you bitch!" I screamed. "If you hurt a hair on her head, I'll fucking bury you with my own hands!"

Lilian laughed. "How romantic. But do you honestly think I give a damn about your sweet old Amanda you foolish boy? No. Chris is taking care of her. I have more important things to do, like going after mini me."

"You wouldn't dare," June said, whimpering in the passenger seat.

"Oh honey, I do dare," Lilian said. "I'm going to find her and kill her myself."

"But you said you poisoned her and that she has a day left, so why go into all this trouble?"

"Because it's personal now," Lilian scoffed. "I realized Lily dying of poison won't be as satisfactory as when I kill her with my own bare hands. Goodbye now."

She hung up the phone before June could utter another word.

"I'm calling her back," June said. "Chris said she has a day left only; we need the cure from Lilian!"

"Forget Lilian for now June," I said. "She doesn't even know where Lily is. Plus, even if she found her, she has no way of getting into the house. Alex is there with her right now and the doors are locked. I repeat, there's no way she can get in and harm Lily. Alex won't let that happen. You know that. And as soon as we rescue Amanda, we're going to take Lily to the hospital right away and save her. I promise you. "

"June seemed content with this and relaxed for a while.

"Thanks Maxxie. You always know how to calm me down. And I promise you Amanda's going to be alright."

I kept my eyes straight on the road, barely listening to June now. I had to hurry.

"Oh my God, watch out!" June suddenly screamed, as the traffic light abruptly turned red. I knew cars were going to be heading from the other direction in a few seconds, so I hit the petal as hard as I could, ignoring June's shrill screams. We made it and continued driving past the cars.

"Maxxie, you're gonna get us killed, please slow down," June said.

"No June, I CAN'T FUCKING SLOW DOWN!" I said, swerving around the block. "Amanda's life depends on it."

I fought back hot tears and I'm pretty sure June noticed. Talk about embarrassing moments.

"Hey, hey, it's alright," June said, her tone softer now, as she rested her hand on my leg. "Amanda's strong. And I know it in my heart that she'll be alright."

"You get one chance at finding your true love in this world June, one chance, and I'm not going to mess it up. Amanda's in real danger, and it's up to me to save her."

"I know hun, I really do. But you're not alone. I'm right with you. Don't forget that she's my daughter. And we'll stick with your plan once we get to her. It's a good plan."