Chapter Twenty+Two

The rest of the day was spent having more fun. When they left the funfair Mrs Okenwa took them out for lunch and then they went to the cinema.

So, it was very dark by the time they arrived home. Mrs Okenwa quickly fixed them a meal and they all dug into it with gusto. Then they packed their dishes to the kitchen and Lastborn washed them, while Eniiyi went to turn on the TV.

China changed the baby's diapers and went to the laundry room to wash some clothes.

'About what I said in the morning, that Baby Kanayo will say my name soon? I want to start working on it tomorrow,' Eniiyi said when Lastborn came to join her at the TV several minutes later.

'Sha be deceiving yourself there.' He rolled his eyes. 'You think it's that easy? He hasn't known us for that long to memorize our names—'

'Be talking like you know babies more than me.' It was Eniiyi's turn to roll her eyes.

'What? I do. You forget where I come from. You, is it that stuck up place you come from that you'll know anything about babies? I'm surprised you kind of people even have children.'

Eniiyi didn't know what to say at that. She felt wounded, especially knowing he was probably right. But he had no right to talk to her like that!

'Shut up. It will shock you. You'll see,' she said, annoyed. 'Don't talk to me again.'

'Mo ti gbọ́.' Lastborn rolled his eyes again.

Mrs Okenwa peeked out from the laundry. 'It's time for bed o, you guys should go to sleep, osiso!  And I'd be coming to check on you in five minutes.'

Lastborn yawned and turned off the TV, standing up. 'Goodnight!' he called out then made for his room.

Eniiyi, still annoyed, didn't reply, mostly because he wasn't talking to her. When he was gone she went into the laundry room and kissed China goodnight then went to her room.

She changed into her nightwear and yawned.

It had been a very tiring day for Eniiyi, so when she crashed onto the bed, her head didn't quite hit that pillows before she fell asleep.

She was woken up the next morning by Mrs Okenwa calling her name.

She slowly sat up, blinking rapidly to shake out the remaining cobwebs of sleep.

'Good morning, ma,' she muttered and then yawned. She glanced at the clock radio. 'It's just five O'clock.'

'Get up, Eniiyi. Go take your bath. It's a new day and school starts today. You don't wanna be late on the first day in the new school, do you?'

Eniiyi paused in rubbing her eyes. 'That's true. New school.'

She got down from the bed and hurriedly let China give her a kiss on the forehead before disappearing into the bathroom.

China smiled and gently shook her head then headed out when she thought she heard the baby crying.

                       🍒♟️🍒♟️🍒♟️

'Okay, is everyone ready?' China asked from the front seat.

'Yes, ma,' Lastborn said, fastening his seat belt.

He looked dashing in his brand new school uniform. A light cream short sleeve shirt and wine trousers with a cream-striped wine tie. China had taken her time to relax his thick mass of onyx-black hair and slick it back with gel, curling it at the ends, so that he looked totally different and could easily pass for a foreigner, with his fair skin.