Chapter Twenty+One

08:39am, October 1
Nsukka, Enugu State.

The first of October was a joyous day for every Nigerian. To the adults and wizened, it signified another year since the country had gained her independence, to the children, it signified the day when they all went out and had festivals and fun.

Which was why everybody at the Nsukka First Funfair had a smile on their faces as they walked about in different costumes and attires and prizes. All, except a certain half-Somali half-Nigerian girl. The girl had all her frown concentrated on the candy floss in her hand, as if it was being sly and staring at it long enough would reveal whatever it had been hiding.

She was leaning forward on a railing that bothered a train ride and people passed by her every now and then, obstructing her view, which could have been more reason why she refused to misplace her frown.

A excited group of kids garbed in green and white feathery costumes breezed by, obstructing her view of the candy again. By the time they had moved forward the candy floss was no longer in her hand.

She looked towards the kids, her frown deepening and started to call after them but her eyes caught the melting pink mass on the floor and she stamped her foot in annoyance.

She had started climbing the railing to the other side to pick it up when a hand on her shoulder drew her back.

'Eniiyi, for God's sake, where are you climbing to?'

Eniiyi stuttered, staring at China then at the toddling baby beside her. 'Um . . . nowhere?'

'Seriously?' China rolled her eyes and paused when it landed on the pink mess on the other side. 'Is that . . . Eniiyi, were you going to pick it up?' She looked strangely at the girl.

'No!' she was quick to say. 'Yes, actually . . .but I wasn't going to . . .' she trailed off and sighed. 'The man that sold it to me told me to stare close enough and I'd find what I was looking for.'

'Really?' China raised a eyebrow. 'And may I ask what you were looking for o?'

'Mm . .my parents,' Eniiyi said quietly and then quickly added, 'Not that I was expecting them to appear or something, it's just that when he said that, I thought maybe if I really looked closely their location would appear . . .'

'You've got to be kidding me, girl. Does that look like a magic mirror or something.' China chuckled.

'Oh well . . . I was just-'

China touched the girl's arm. 'I get. But all this doesn't work, the candy seller must have been joking or probably wanted to make you buy it.'

'Oh,' said Eniiyi, her head dropping in disappointment.

'But you sha tried,' China tried to restore her spirit.

'Mm-hmm,' Eniiyi mumbled.

'I got good news,' China said brightly, hoping to cheer the girl up. 'Lastborn and Kanayo are getting their faces painted and I thought you might want to have yours done too?'

Eniiyi raised her head slightly to stare down at the baby's face.

'No, he hasn't done his yet, Lastborn is still there. Eniiyi, don't you want to come along?'

'I want to,' Eniiyi said, shaking off any sad thought from her mind. 'I'd love to, please.'

'Alright,' China smiled, surprised and took the girl's hand. 'It's not far from here.'

When Eniiyi was sat down diligently in front of the artiste as she did her face, Lastborn stood arms akimbo in front of her.

'Where did you go the other time?' he asked.