maybe this was a bad idea.

i stand in line, my legs slightly apart and my hands clasped behind my back. my short red hair is tied back, with a few loose strands. i'm in SHIELD's standard uniform. i stare straight ahead as someone, who i assume is our instructor, steps into the gym. i glance out of the corners of my eyes and see that everyone else is much more relaxed. i shift uncomfortably.

he smiles at me a little, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "at ease, romanova. we've all gotten used to each other now, so formalities aren't as important. but thank you."

i nod and relax a bit as he raises his voice to speak to the rest of the group. "everyone, we have a new member. i know we're close to testing, but she's had experience in the field, and this is a special case."

i've begun to realize how little i know about this place. but i smile and wave at everyone. i'm normally someone who likes to know all the little details, but the only thing i know is that the instructor's name is jack thompson.

"alright, guys," he continues, and everyone gets back into a squiggly line. "today we're going to work on sparring- that's something you'll have in your test, and tomorrow, your SO's will be watching. i'll pick partners."

i just nod. this reminds me too much of my training. maybe i can't do this. i swallow my panic as thompson points at another guy, who's standing with a few other people. "that's grant ward. grant, this is natalia."

grant smiles tightly and steps a little bit closer, leaving his clique. he's tall, but i can already see some weaknesses. i reach out my hand for him to shake, and he accepts it reluctantly. 

eventually everyone has partners and we head to the sparring area, which has mats on the ground. i hear grant and his friends whispering about how easy it'll be to beat me. i roll my eyes. i was going to go easy on him.

since we're going first, we face each other on the mats. i steady myself, one foot behind the other, my fists raised. our instructor adjusts ward's position a little, and looks over mine. i thought he wouldn't like my russian style, but i guess it doesn't matter.

ward smirks at me and i grin right back. he steps forwards and swings his fists, and i block both punches. i roundhouse kick at his head, but he ducks under my leg and pulls me down. i flip back to my feet and he turns around to face me. i step towards him, throwing a few punches, which he blocks. i crouch and punch his stomach, and he grunts. i jump lightly onto his shoulders and wrap my arms around his neck. i wrap my legs around his torso and squeeze a little harder. ward coughs and then taps my arm twice. i glance at the instructor. what am i supposed to now?

"get off of me," ward chokes out.

i jump back down and shake his hand.

"asshole," he mutters under his breath as he walks back to his buddies.

"show off," someone whispers.

at least i didn't break your neck. it would really suck to have to kill someone with so much potential, wouldn't it?

i doubt any of those people have ever had to kill to survive. i walk away as two girls step up.

-

peggy carter tosses a file onto the desk. it's more intel than i thought they would have.

"i have some questions for you first," she says, almost sounding bored. she puts her feet up on the table.

i smile calmly, leaning forwards. i rest my chin on one of my hands, the chain linking them to the table jingling. it's a scare tactic, really, handcuffing me to the table. she knows by now i wouldn't run, it's a control thing. i've been treated worse, though.