6. Worry

I ran my fingers over my lips for the nth time. I've never been kissed before. I knew it was against the rules. I wasn't usually one to break them.

  Jaxson was definitely spreading worry and doubt throughout my mind. I didn't want to go against the system. They could be dangerous people, I knew that. But why did I want to break the rules this time? What made things change?

  Maybe I should tip off the system?

  A knock came from my door making me jump out of my skin. Should I answer? What if it was Jaxson? Did he even know where my dorm was?

  The door clicked and swung open. Leo crept into my room. "Aquarius?"

  I watched him from my bed. What was he doing here? "I didn't say you could come in," I replied.

  His head swirled in my direction. He stomped his way over to me. "Stop teasing my brother," he hissed.

  My jaw dropped. "What?"

  "We're twins, and believe it or not, we do have some sort of twin bond. And every time he's around you, he changes. I've never seen him like that before."

  "That's not my fault!"

  "Just leave him alone. You can't keep messing with him."

  "I'm not," I protested. "He comes to me!"

  "So you don't like my brother?"

  Leo's voice was neutral. Was I supposed to say no? If I did, what would he think? I didn't not like Jaxson. But I don't think I liked him the way Leo was implying.

  "Both of you are my best friends. Of course, I like you guys," I said hesitantly.

  He rolled his eyes. "I didn't peg you as stupid, Aquarius."

  "What's going on? What did he say?"

  "He didn't 'say' anything," Leo growled. "He walked into our dorm and slammed his door behind him. He won't talk to me."

  Was Jaxson mad I wouldn't kiss him? It was different hearing him talk about treason, but kissing him would have been acting on it. I didn't see things the way he did. Zodiacs weren't evil to me. He couldn't blame me for wanting to obey the rules.

  "Well, he surely isn't going to talk to me."

  "What did you say to him? I know he was with you after class." Leo was getting irritated. And it was beginning to become scary.

  "I-" I stuttered.

  Leo crossed his arms. He was waiting for me to continue. Too bad he wasn't going to cut me off and say something else. That would have been good luck, and lately, I haven't had a lot of that.

  "I didn't say anything to Jaxson," I finished.

  He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Just fix it." Then he was gone.

  Fix what? Jaxson was quiet. He wouldn't do anything rash but if he did, Leo would be the one to know what it would be. Not me. The most he ever said to me was at the Gemini Club. How was I supposed to fix something when I don't know how it broke?

  I groaned and fell backward on my bed. I couldn't deal with this. I had a test in a week. Studying for that would take up most of my time. Dealing with Jaxson's mood swings were not a part of studying.

  Leo pressuring me to "fix" Jaxson when it wasn't even my place to do so was stressful. Again, it wasn't my place. If anyone should help his brother it should be him.

  Not the girl who had just declined his wish to kiss her.

  I bolted up from my bed. I shouldn't be worrying about this. If he did anything impulsive, I'd be right there in a heartbeat. But for now, he hasn't done anything. Jaxson is holed up in his room, as far as Leo knows. He didn't need me to be in his room annoying him with concerns for things he might do.

  I planted my fist on my open palm, nodding my head. Yeah, there was nothing to worry about. We would cross that bridge when it drags to a stop underneath our feet.

  And, at the moment, that bridge was miles away.

^~^
Thanks for reading this far. Don't forget to vote =)