Prologue

Seventeen Years Prior

  What could you possibly do when a group of people in white coats come to take away your baby? Your only child of one day old. Would they take the next one as well? When they ripped my newborn out my arms, I was angry.

  So, so angry.

  I wanted to tell them to screw the system and give me back my baby. Even if I had helped them before. I wanted my baby back.

  It got me to thinking of all the children I had taken myself. The babies I took from loving parents who probably felt just as I had. But they all smiled. As if they thought to become a Zodiac was the best option for the child.

  I disagreed. Now I fully understood what I had been doing to those parents. I didn't want my baby to become a heartless Zodiac. I wanted my newborn to grow up happy. Understand that feelings were okay. Normal.

  No matter how I struggled, they tore the small child away from my arms and into a stranger's. My husband was welcoming. He understood that baby Aquarius had to leave. To become a Zodiac. He wanted Aquarius to become one of the smartest Zodiacs out there. He believed our baby could do wonders.

  I believed the same. Our baby had however much power she willed herself to have. But in my arms. In my care. Not those cruel, heartless slaves.

  I would do anything to get my baby back. Anything.

  I was already cast out. I could rebel as much as I wanted. Getting hurt was only an option if I went onto Zodiac property.

  I would find people who wanted their children back. Who believed what I did. Together we could get our babies back.

  Together we could start a rebellion.

  We would not stop. Not until the system was destroyed. Until it was forgotten. We didn't deserve our babies to be taken away from us. We deserved to raise them. We deserved to make our own families without the system's interference.

  With the help of many, we could destroy the one system we had created.

  The Zodiacs will fall.

  I will get my baby back.

  And we all will return to individual people.