Chapter 14: Fate's Compass

"Milo, look at this!" Aryn called him over to a window in the main workshop of the Dynahelm guild that overlooked a huge dome resting between two impossibly large skyscrapers. Inside of its confines were thousands upon thousands of seats reminiscent of a sports stadium on Earth. Aryn saw a brief streak of white shoot across the open space in the center and pressed her face against the window with a wide-eyed grin. "It's Comet Raid! I didn't know there was a game today!"

"Is that the sport Corbin was watching a few days ago?" Milo asked. Aryn nodded excitedly and watched the field in spite of the players being the size of ants from how far away they were.

"Do you want to go watch it?"

"What?" Aryn suddenly looked over at him and shook her head with a laugh. "No way, we're not here to sightsee. We'll get to watch a game next time."

A small smile appeared on the edge of his mouth as he watched her gaze return to the sport. After a moment she pulled out her badge and displayed the game in a holographic projection, and her legs began bouncing up and down as a disappointed frown appeared on her face. "Man, Riptide is playing todayyy!" she looked back through the window longingly, and Milo's eyes suddenly widened as an idea dawned on him.

"I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'll be right back," he reiterated as he took off towards the room where the three guildmasters were meeting. He knocked once, and the door opened without preamble. As the bronze door opened, revealing Kova, Jasper, Professor Hephaestus, his daughter Prodigé, Lady Redwick and the male Hoconin from earlier standing around a massive hologram of Varius detailed down to the individual trees, looking dead serious on trying to locate Kyseagus. Milo pursed his lips as the group looked up at him, and he locked eyes with Kova. "Guildmaster, are we free to explore the city?"

"Of course! We'll call you back when we find something!" the heavyset man assured him. "Thanks for asking!"

"Awesome. Thank you." Milo bowed politely before closing the door and making his way back to the main resting area where Aryn was sitting on a plush couch watching the broadcast of the game.

"So I got good news," he said. Aryn perked up as he continued. "I spoke with the guildmaster, and he said that we're free to explore the city. Do you want to go see the game?"

"Milo... we'd need tickets, and it's already started... I don't know," she said half-heartedly. Milo rolled his eyes lightly and grabbed her wrists to hoist her up from the couch. "Let's go, I know how much you love this sport."

"Where are you two going?" Magnus asked as he suddenly appeared next to them.

"We're going to watch the comet raid game," Milo replied. "Would you like to come with us?"

"Why not. It beats being cramped up in here," the giant man said. "I'll meet you there at the top of the outfield closest to the scoreboard.

The trio exited the guild, and as soon as they were clear of any overhead obstacles the giant winged man took off with a single beat of his wings before vanishing like a mirage.

"That's so cool," Aryn admitted. "He's kinda grumpy, but cool."

Milo looked up at the vast array of colors dotting the skyscrapers that rose as far as he could see, only broken up by the hundreds of bridges connecting them like a mile-high multi-tiered web. "Well, let's get going. Any idea on how to get there?"

"That's a good question," Aryn replied before noticing a pair of legs sticking out of a hatch in the wall of what appeared to be a restaurant just ahead, no doubt working on some maintenance. "Let's ask that guy!"