twenty one

i was stuck in a room that had no light, no windows and no door; barely breathing. i was too tired to stand up and too afraid to search for a key to turn on the light; i didn't want to make a move. hopeless. worthless. sad. i thought: "what's the point on turning on the light, if there's no door to escape from here?". that's why i spent years in that dark and horrible place.

one day, i suddenly heard a slightly knock. i thought: "why did i hear a knock if there's no door?". then, i realised that there was a door but it was so dark i couldn't see it. the next i knew, i was on my feets, searching for that damn key to turn on the light. my head was spinning, my body was sweating and i felt like another person. hope; a simple sound, but it only took one knock for me to open my eyes.

when i finally found the light, i turned it on. at first, my eyes hurted and it took a while until they got used to the permanent light but when they did, i saw the door. i wearily walked there, almost crawling because i felt so numb. as soon as i opened the door, my beloved ones were there, smiling and cheering.

"we knew you were going to make it. we are really glad you are b a c k."

              now, my friend, that's what depression feels like.