Disaster

After half an hour they all met at the gate and started their journey. They reached the village, the disciples had tracked the thief to in two days. The disciples bowed to Lan Xichen and took them to the forest.

The rogue cultivator was hiding in the forest at the outskirts of the village. They tracked him to a small cave and he came out throwing spells after spells at them.

They dodged and Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji crouched behind a rock, Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng hid behind trees and the disciples flew up a tree. The rogue cultivator had dirty black robes which were tattered and had a cruel sneer on his face. He shouted,
"Oh, so the great cultivators from the most pure clan have come to capture me? You think I'll be defeated so easily? No one can touch me or even come near me. You all are amateurs in front of me. Nothing more than babies, nothing do you understand!"

Wei Wuxian was really exasperated with his monologue and was rolling his eyes. He went to throw a talisman on him but Wangji stopped him because they haven't yet found a weak spot or even are in a formation to catch him.

But the cultivator saw the two disciples on the tree and started to fire spells on them. Lan Xichen sprang into action and deflected it with his sword. Lan wangji and Wei wuxian moved to the cultivator's back and jiang cheng to his side.

But they couldn't do much other than deflect his spells because they couldn't get near him. After he was engaged with all of them and they were trying to close in on him, Wei wuxian sent a freezing talisman and he froze for a moment which was more than enough for Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji.

They caught his hand and encased it in energy so that he can't use them for spells. They tried a cloth over his mouth as well. He was caught and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Lan Shino, one of the disciples cheered happily and said, "Ha, you were caught by people whom you called amateurs and that too with a basic talisman. That's what you get for your arrogance, Mr.Expert".

The cultivator just growled at him.
Lan Xichen said with a small frown, "Shino" and he immediately went quiet.
Wei wuxian huffed a laugh and said, " Brother Xichen, is it against Lan Clan rules to talk to prisoners, is it uf-"

Whatever he was going to say next was stopped by Jiang Cheng punching his ribs because he knows anything that comes out of his mouth will be offensive.

Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji were both by his sides and all of them started their return journey. They couldn't stop anywhere for the risk of him escaping.

As they had been walking for a few hours, the cultivator was trying some nonverbal spells to dissipate the energy around his hands.

The team was not aware of any nonverbal spells, so they didn't knock him out. When he had almost gained leverage to dissipate the energy, he pretended to fall but Lan Wangji caught his hand.

But he was not prepared for the blast and he was thrown back but Wei caught him by the waist.

The cultivator went behind a little and said with an enraged sneer, "I'll show you what you look like in front of my powers" and sent a blast towards Lan Shino, but he tried to intercept with his sword and it got deflected and went straight to Xichen who was standing adjacent to him, but before it can hit him Wangji came from behind and pushed Xichen and took the full blast on himself.

"Wangji, Lan Zhan, Hanguan Jun" all shouted and Xichen jumped from behind Lan Zhan and cut off the rogue's his wrists in one swoop. Jiang Cheng hit him on his head and knocked him out.

Wei wuxian was standing near the glowing Lan Wangji and he was fully encased in the glow. No one could see inside, "Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan can you hear me, what's happening?"

Wei Wuxian asked frantically and was trying to get inside but he couldn't even touch the glowing bubble.

Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng came beside him immediately and tried to slash their swords but it was to no vail.

Nothing happened. They neither could see nor could hear Lan Wangji. After a few seconds the glow stopped and they couldn't see Lan Wangji.

They looked down and saw his clothes in a pile on the ground. Wei wuxian gasped and went to grab it but suddenly it started shaking.

All of them waited with bated breaths and slowly something dark came out.

On second look it was a small head with black hair followed by a small body drowning in white robes.

The small child turned back and Lan Xichen gave a loud gasp and shuddered, because that was a face he hadn't seen in roughly 15 years, the face of a three  year old Lan Wangji.