Six

"You're kidding me right?"

Your eyes shot open from the spontaneous nap you had forced upon yourself. You spent the night trying to fall asleep only to fail due to Ultron making a guest appearance and destroying the living area of Avengers tower. You slept in Steve's bed while he slept on the floor, on the opposite side of you.

You were curled up in a ball in your office chairs, since you still had work to do even though you were getting your first round of chemo. Tony barged into the office holding a green smoothie in his hand. He placed the cup down on his desk as he looked up and down at the IV cart holding pumps and tubes that led to your body.

"Like my new accessory?" You smirked. "Yes. You have very fine taste" He walked around you to take a seat at the opposite side of his desk, staring at you. "What are you doing in here? You should be-"

"Resting, I know." You mumbled, holding a stack of paperwork in one hand and your IV cart in the other. You stood up from the chair and walked towards Tony who took the papers from your hand and shook his head.

He threw the folders onto your desk and walked you out of the room, and into the living room where the rest of the Avengers were cleaning up from Ultron's mess.

Clint nudged Steve's shoulder, and immediately Steve turned to look at you and dashed over to you, taking over Tony's job with helping you. "Hey Y/N. How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Pretty good. No side effects yet, though I am a little lightheaded" You said as Steve walked you to the couch. The rest of the Avengers secluded you two to privacy, and Steve took a seat next to you and took your hand into his.

You leaned up against him and closed your eyes. "I'm sorry I'm making you my human pillow" You muttered, looking up at him. "You're just very comfortable" You smiled. His eyes couldn't help but meet your gaze, as he placed a hand against your cheek and gently grazed his thumb over your skin.

You heard the soft chime from the elevator and watched as the doors slid open. You and Steve turned to see Sam Wilson walking through the doors, holding a suitcase. "Sam," you breathed out, breaking free from Steve grasp and standing up.

"Y/N. Steve" Sam nodded towards the both of you. He came over to you and wrapped his arms around your torso, along with pressing a soft kiss to your forehead. Steve could feel his cheeks growing warm, becoming increasingly awkward with the encounter.

Steve stood up from the couch and shook Sam's hand before plopping back onto the couch. "What are you doing here? I thought you were only spending one day in New York?" You asked.

"Tony called and asked if I could stay a little longer. He said he needs me on babysitting duty for a little while" Sam smirked as you chuckled. "Babysitting?"

"For you!" Tony shouted as he walked back into the living room. "Me? What!" You exclaimed. "Uh yeah. You need to be resting, especially now! Sam, do your job and nanny her" Tony pointed over at you.

Sam sat you back down on the couch and took his jacket off and wrapped it around your shoulders. "Dr. Cho will be here in an hour to take you off the medicine. In the meantime, why don't you go lay down and watch TV. . . Relaaaax" Tony said.

Sam helped you up from the couch before guiding you away from the living room and into the elevator. As the doors closed, Tony and Steve were left in silence. Steve slid down into the couch and covered his face with his hands, disappointed that another moment with you was pulled out from underneath him.