Chapter Twenty-Five

The next few days blurred together. I was flicking through a magazine at work, flicking my eyes to the door every so often. I had been avoiding everyone. Jeremy had started to speak to me again, which I felt relieved about. Elena was spending more and more time with Damon. Alaric was never home. I had tracked him down without Jeremy and let him apologize. He was so torn up that he could barely be in the same room as me without looking down at his feet. I had felt guilty for the way he felt. It wasn't like he did that intentionally. I sighed, flicking the page over.

"You have been avoiding me, darling."

I kept my eyes down, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely.

"You can start by making me whatever coffee drink...." I looked up as Kol spoke. He waved off his order. I turned to the machine, starting to make a flat white. "You can also tell me why you have been avoiding me." I paused for a moment, then finished off the coffee, handing it over to him. He went to pull out his wallet and I shook my head.

"It's ok, I can take care of it."

"Can we talk?" he asked, taking the coffee before sniffing at it. I watched as he took a careful sip. "As for coffee, it's not bad."

"I wouldn't know." I shrugged. I barely drank coffee, only a few sips at most every so often. "I'm at work." I said before he could ask me if we could talk again.

He looked around the empty shop with a raised brow. I scowled. "Fine." I grumbled. I walked out behind the counter, sitting across from him at one of the tables. I glanced out the window and sighed, feeling the sun of my face. When I turned, Kol was smiling at me.

"What?" I asked, feeling self-conscious all of a sudden.

"Nothing, darling." He mused.

"You wanted to talk?" I fidgeted with my hands, trying to calm my nerves.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" Kol tilted his head to the side. I saw vulnerability flash on his face for a split second.

"A little." I admitted feeling rather silly. Kol has been pleasant, besides breaking my hand and snapping Jeremy's neck that time, he has been nice.

"Why?" he asked curiously. I sighed. How do you explain to a thousand yeas plus vampire that you felt inadequate and messy? My life was pretty much falling to pieces. My twin was a vampire hunter. My sister is a doppelganger and I was an abomination.

"Because you're an original vampire." I supplied.

He remained silent. I peeked at his face that looked deep in thought.

"I'm sorry." I blurted out quickly. His eyes locked with mine and before I let him speak. I rambled on. "My life is messy. I just don't even know how I think or feel any more." I looked down feeling defeated.

"I see." He responded with. I was expecting him to get up and just leave but he didn't I looked at him a little confused. "Yes?" he asked with a look of confusion of his own.

"I thought you would leave?" I mumbled. Glancing at the door before turning back to him.

"Do you want me too?" he asked.

"No." I answered before I had a chance to process the thought. He nodded and then offered me one of his smiles. 

I had finished my shift, Kol had stayed the entire time, walking me home. We had been talking, he had told me a little about the other centuries, well what he could remember before being daggered by Klaus.